2.05: No Way Of Coping

Chapter 22
Peeta's POV

Somewhere inbetween waking and sleeping, for the first time, I actually register the screams of pain.

They are faint but I hear them.

For a couple of weeks now I have been completely devoid of emotions, not feeling anything. No matter how much I wanted to, I just couldn't; and now I just feel almost too much. The people come to take Finnick and he struggles but they inject something into him that makes his muscles paralysed. They drag him away. He looks so weak. Where did his strength go?

They shut the door behind him and after a few minutes I can hear some soft voices and then screaming. What do they do to him there?

Some Capitol attendants come in and I at first let them take my arms but then I begin to fight back. I may be weaker, but I am still strong. I jolt away and knock them down. The door is open, and I manage to get through it. I sprint down the hallway. I forget about my leg.

The only thing that stops me is a door. I run straight into it. My shoulder aches from slamming it into the door already. I can get out.

I can. I have to.

I have to for her. For-

I yell as something sharp stabs me from behind.

The last thing I think of before I am dragged under is Katniss. I have to get back to her. Her and the baby.

◇◇◇

I wake back in the cell with Finnick. There is a new cut on his arm.

"Heard you nearly escaped."

I try to sit up against the wall. "Yeah."

"I'm sorry." His head hangs and he begins to shake it. "I'm so sorry. I should've just said nothing. They'll hurt you even more now. I'm sorry. I'm sorry..."

"No I'm glad you said something."

"But you shouldn't be."

Just then a group of Capitol attendants comes in and grabs me. They stab me with another needle before I can fight back, and I slowly drift into oblivion.

◇◇◇

"Mr. Mellark." I open my eyes.

I am strapped down to a metal table, a needle is inserted into my arm and connect to a small tube.

President Snow smiles down at me with his twisted smile that spills his snake-llike teeth into his speech. 

"Tell us what you know."

◇◇◇

Katniss's POV

"HAYMITCH," I shout, pounding my fists on the door. "Haymitch, let me in."

The door opens and my hands drop to my sides. Haymitch stands behind the door and moves aside to let me in. I step through the door, my arms cradling each other.

"Come sit down," he says quietly. I walk beside him and sit down on an old stool facing his bed. "What is it?"

I shake my head. "I don't know. I'm moving in to a compartment with Johanna of all people, I'm pregnant, Peeta's not here, and I'm supposed to lead a revolution? I can't even lead my own life."

He gives me a look of sympathy. "I'm sorry. Genuinely. This should never have happened to the both of you. I tried to get you both out, but Plutarch was convinced we should get Johanna because she was strong and unafraid, and we needed Beetee to cut through Capitol broadcasts. I tried to get the boy out." Haymitch looks tired. There is age in his eyes again.

"Haymitch. I need him. I don't know if I can live properly without him. If I never saw him again..."

"I know, you would never forget it," he replies, reaching under his bed and coming out with a bottle of alcohol. He takes a swig and replaces the cap. I don't know how he got it since alcohol is basically banned here, but I want some to drown the thoughts away.

He must see the look in my eyes because he puts it back under his bed and says, "Sweetheart, you can't, not with the baby."

I sigh.

Haymitch smiles in a sad line. "Okay, I promise tomorrow, I will talk to coin. To Be Honest I'm surprised you lasted this long."