3.01: Venom

Chapter 33
Katniss's POV

For the second time in a few months I sit by Peeta's bed. His breathing is steady but not as deep as it should be. They say he will wake up soon.

The door opens for Haymitch to enter, and he leans against the wall.

"His neck will heal soon. Of course his nose should be fine but... I've been talking to the doctors... when he wakes... the Tracker Jacker serum will be suppressed for a few hours but then... it will be stronger. I'm sorry but... you may want to have a moment because it may be the last safe time to talk to him and be there for a few months."

The blow hits any square in the chest, and I feel a small shortness of breath. "What do you mean? I thought they were just fits..."

Haymitch sighs. "Look, things don't always work out sweetheart. Peeta... he's been through a lot- you both have. But this... it gives the Venom a chance to corrupt his brain further, so they say that... it will probably have taken over more of his memories." He stares at me for a moment, and I know what that stare is. A patronising, condemning one. Telling me I'm weak; I'm fragile; there's nothing I can do about this. No matter or crying, or screaming. This is going to happen. "I talked to him maybe... an hour before Gale got to him. It was getting worse. He said..." He shifts his gaze from my face to the wall, then the floor, "he couldn't remember proposing to you. The second time. He knows he did but he said he didn't remember that night. I'm sorry."

He rests his hand on my shoulder for a second, a supportive gesture, then moves back out the door. People keep doing that- coming into a room, dropping a massive peace of information then leaving. Especially Haymitch.

"What did they do to you Peeta?"

◇◇◇

I come back after eating, Willow with me; my Mom had to work again and I'm not going to burden Prim for too long.

"Hey, I'm sorry I wasn't with you earlier. I had to be here with Peeta. He needs me right now, and I know you do too. Please forgive me." Willow is quiet. Good. She kept me up a couple nights in the hospital. Her eyes are open, and they look crossed a little. It makes me smile a bit, and then she starts crying out. "No no please shhh... shhhh.... it's okay, it's okay don't worry. I'm here."
Peeta's arm moves a little and I see his eyelids flicker.

"Peeta?"

His eyes open, so I can see the blue. A smile breaks across his face. He's not fully hijacked yet, but this won't last long. "Are you okay?"

"I think... Gale..."

"Yeah, I know. He came to your compartment."

Willow starts crying again, and I begin to try and calm her again, only stressing myself out more.

Peeta holds his arms out and props himself up on pillows. I lower her into his arms, which causes her a short hesitation. "Shhhh.... Hi Willow. It's me, your dad. Hey," he bounces her up and down in his arms a little until she stops crying.

"How do you do that? Calm her down, I mean."

"You do it too," he says, raising his blond eyebrows.

"Not like you."

He contemplates this. "Well, how are you so good with Prim?" I shrug. "I don't know how you do that."

"Prim is a reasonable person, not a baby whose movements are all erratic." I smile, and we have our last moments smiling before my Mom comes to take me out again. Peeta hands me Willow and smiles as I walk away.

When I'm out the door, my smile fades to a frown. I'm about to lose someone else to the Capitol.