1.01: The Beginning

Date: 14th March.

Chapter 1
Katniss's POV- Catching Fire, an AU beginning the day of the reading of the card

I wake in my own bed, in my house and feel warm with Peeta beside me; he is holding me in a soft embrace that brings light to my chest.

I go to stroke a curl of blond hair from his forehead and wriggle from his arms. He looks so peaceful asleep.

I get dressed and remember the events of last night. We were both so caught up in the moment, but I do not regret it for once. I know now; I do love him. So much. I may like Gale, but I realise now I truly love Peeta.

I walk back over to the bed and kiss him lightly and his eyes flutter open, their soft blue confused but loving as he remembers where he is. I pull myself toward him and I am enveloped in his arms again.

It is afew minutes before he speaks. "Are you ok?" He asks.

I don't answer. I just huddle closer.

"Katniss?"

"Yes?"

We lock eyes, and I can tell he is worried about me.

"Yes," I say. "Yes."

"Are you sure? I'm sorry if we went too far, we can just forget it if you want-"

I smile. "No. This is perfect."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

♤♤♤

After Peeta is dressed and the bed made, we go downstairs.

Prim is sitting at the dining table and my mother is cooking. Peeta offers to help and she accepts.
I sit next to Prim and she looks up, smiling. For a heart stopping second I think she knows, but Peeta is with me so much it's hardly possible she suspects anything.

I smile back and eat the breakfast I have just been given, whilst everyone makes small talk.

My mother wasn't originally very happy about Peeta, but she has softened to him recently and my family all happily.

Peeta looks up and we share a smile. And I wasn't lying earlier. I have no regrets.