Chapter seventy-one

"Daddy?"

Harry looks up from the screen of his phone when he hears Louis' voice, sitting up from the sofa in case he is needed, "yeah, babe?"

"I need help," is called back from where Louis is in the bedroom, Louis' voice growing softer before Harry hears the all-too-fimiliar sound of Louis giggling.

Harry stands up and paces quickly to their bedroom. He is met with the sight of Louis' bare back facing him, and Harry walks over to the hybrid who is struggling to get get jeans up.

"What's wrong?" Harry hums, his eyes lingering over Louis' expanding bump fondly when the hybrid turns.

Louis pouts while tugging at the button of his jeans, "they don't fit around my stomach any more. At all."

Harry bites his lip while reaching out to place his palm lightly over the stomach that is home to their five-month-old baby, a smile eventually taking over his face.

"That's a good complaint, kitten. Why don't you just wear sweats or something? It's just the hospital. No one will mind what you're wearing."

Louis cocks up his nose before shaking his head, managing to fasten the button of his jeans with a bit of difficulty once he finds a comfortable spot beneath his tummy. Hospital or not, Louis always insists on looking his best. Just because he's five months pregnant doesn't mean his looks have to slip.

Once they are both dressed and ready to leave, Harry takes Louis' hand and guides his boyfriend from their house. When they walk from their bedroom, Harry sees the bundle of baby clothes that were given to them by Gemma which are neatly folded and placed on the dresser top, and is reminded yet again that he needs to sort out the spare room in the house that Louis wants as their child's bedroom. Louis already has the paint bought; a neutral shade of yellow seeing as Harry hasn't successfully convinced Louis to find out the sex of their child yet.

When Louis sits into the car, his mind starts to wander to previous ultrasounds that they've been to. The first one will stay his favourite, though, but when they first heard their baby's rapid but steady heartbeat is a close second. Nothing will ever replace the feeling that Louis had when he first saw the tiny little hybrid inside him on the screen. Needless to say, he spent the majority of the appointment blubbering and crying, and Louis didn't miss the fact that Harry's eyes glazed over while he stared at the screen either. That day, Louis' heart swelled so much with adoration and love that he was sure that it would cut out or burst.

The feeling was, and still is, mutual with Harry too. To this day, Harry doesn't understand how it's possible to love something so much without even seeing it in person.

"So, are you going to find out today?"

Louis jumps a little, startled slightly from Harry's voice interrupting his thoughts, "hm?"

"Baby's gender," Harry clarifies while resting his hand over Louis' rounded stomach, the other gripping the steering wheel.

Louis looks at Harry with a raised eyebrow because they've had this conversation so much.

"I want it to be a surprise, daddy. You know that," Louis breathes out, placing one of his hands over Harry's.

"But don't you want to know whether it's a tiny little girl or boy? Our tiny little girl or boy? We'll be able to choose the name and what clothes to buy," Harry tries persuade, quickly looking over to Louis with a hopeful smile.

Louis looks back to Harry uncertainly before saying, "don't you want to wait until I give birth? So Curly can be handed to us and we find out then, with our little baby in our arms."