I stand up from the bed, I turn on his night light and walk to the door, switching the light off I cast one last glance at my sleeping cub.
He brings a smile to my face, I exit and pull the door with me, I leave a crack in the door so the hallway light will spill into his room.

Look at me being such a good parent.

Smiling to myself and feeling proud of myself, I make my way to the bathroom to run myself a hot bath.

....

7:45 pm

"Ah, that's more like it". I sigh in comfort, holding a low alcoholic beer, I snuggle into my comfy couch, relishing in the way my new PJs I bought today feel so soft against my freshly cleaned skin.

I pick up the remote and switch the TV on, I start to flip through the channels But am interrupted with a phone call.

Frowning and groaning in frustration, I reluctantly push myself out of my little hole, I place my bottle on the table and reach forward for my phone.

I answer it.

"Hello?".

"Charlie?".

A voice I knew so long ago calls through the receiver; it has my heart slamming against my chest, my stomach churning violently.

I stand up straight, feeling like I'm being closed in on.

"Dad?". I whisper, feeling my throat close in, my eyes sting.

"Oh thank god, it is you Cub". He sighs with full relief.

My nickname has tears forming in my eyes and my chest clenching violently.

My wolf howls for his father, yipping excitedly of hearing his voice.

My whole being feels numb, like I've left my body.

"It's me, dad". My voice is above a whisper.

"I know, pal, I'm so glad I found you!". He bellows, his deep voice sounding so happy, it makes me smile.

Makes me feel proud, I made my dad sound happy.

"How did you find me?". I ask carefully.

"Your boss, she sold your uncle some work and he showed it to me and I don't how, I just knew you had painted it- by the way, you have a talent son". He states proudly.

Holy fuck, my dad is like the best police officer EVER.

"OR It could have been because I smelled your scent on it, but I knew you could have painted that".

I shake my head and smile lovingly at my father.

"Oh, I see". I reply with a light voice. "How's Mom?". I venture nervously.

I haven't spoken to them for six years; I'm the worst son ever.

Wolves are pack animals; we love naturally and easily so when one disappears without so much as a good bye, it's bound to break their hearts.

I hear him take an intake of breath; my heart beats a little faster.

"She's okay, hasn't been the same since you left". He replies sadly.

And here comes the disappointment.

"I'm so sorry Dad, I guess you must of heard what happened-"

"yes, cub, I did and I understand but you should have phoned us! We thought the worst!".

"I know, I'm sorry! But I thought if I had contacted you, you would have made me come back there and I cant, I cant come back there". My voice breaks with fear.

"You're an adult now; we wouldn't force you to do anything like that. But Charlie, please...come back". He pleads brokenly.

My heart freezes, my stomach disappears! I feel like a child, so scared.

"Please, just for a day or the weekend, you don't have to see HIM, he wont even know you're here, just please come back, please".

I swallow around my fear, tears falling down my face, I turn in the direction of the bedrooms and I see my son's room, he deserves to know his family.

My whole being shaking, my wolf howling in fear and joy of seeing our family, I speak the next words that will change our lives for forever.

"Okay, dad. I'll come this weekend".

...