The Phone Call

CHARLIE'S POV:

"And then what happened to him?".

"Well, he fell down the well and died".

I turn to look at my six year old son, he sits happily on the sofa, his feet dangling as he stares obliviously at the television set.

I shake my head affectionately and chuckle slightly.

"Aw, that's too sad". I reply faking up some remorse for the puppet that died in his school book.

"Not really". He answers nonchalantly, too nonchalance for my liking.

"Okay". I turn away from him as I make his dinner.

"Daddy?".

"Yes, pal?". I ask as I look up from cutting up the chicken nuggets, I look at him and for a moment, it hurts. My heart clenches painfully at the sight of my son, because in this moment he looks the image of his father, his dark eyes and dark hair.

My eyes sting; I turn away quickly and wipe them roughly with my sleeve.

Don't be so stupid, it's been six years- pull yourself together!.

Forcing myself to take deep breathes, I make sure my eyes are dry before turning back to my head tilting soon, with a look of concern on cute face.

"Daddy, are you okay?". He asks quietly.

Feeling my heart surge with warmth and love, I nod and walk over to him, he instantly knows what I'm going to do, he quickly stands on the sofa with his arms open, I scoop him up and crush him against my chest, my wolf yipping quietly at having our cub close to us, I feel his own wolf reach out to mine, nuzzling one another.

He nuzzles into my neck, sighing contently when he smells my scent- technically I am his mother, so when he nuzzles me he's searching for his mother's scent which I have, I remember how I use to nuzzle my own mother's neck when I was a cub, the smell of home fills you and quells the pain, wraps you in safety and I am so glad that I can give that for my son, I miss my own parents fiercely.

I kiss his soft hair softly.

"I love you, so much".

"I love you too daddy". He whispers back sleepily as he slots his head under my chin.

My wolf purrs.

I smile at my sleepy cub.

"Don't fall to sleep, buddy, your dinner is ready soon". I remind him slightly cheerfully,

He grunts quietly.

This rips out laughter from me, the act reminded me so much of Hunter and It doesn't hurt, yes, he was a twat and broke me but he gave me a beautiful son and I'll forever be thankful for that.

I give his coconut smelling hair another kiss before I turn on my heels and walk him over to the island.

I detach him from me and place him carefully on the seat.

"No moving, remember. Because you know what happened to Humpty Dumpty ". I warn him, he smiles brightly at the reminder of the clumsy egg and nods.

I ruffle his hair as I leave to get him his dinner.

...

7:08 pm

"And Percy-". I am interrupted by a soft noise, I look up from my page in The Lightning Thief and look at my son.

I smile warmly when I witness he's asleep, closing the book softly, I put it on his bedside table and lean in to kiss his forehead, I pull pack and tuck him in.