Scared

"Mirayu, wake up!" A voice spoke loudly. I blinked my eyes opening, recognizing the stairwell. I was bouncing, arms carrying me as we went up.

I've never gone up. Mom and dad always told me it was not safe. That up meant the roof. I opened my mouth to ask what was going on, but red hair smacked my face and I blubbered it away.

Mom. My mom looked afraid. Her skin had a red glimmer to it, and two of her teeth looked sharp. That was my mom's Quirk. The one I shared with her.

"M-mommy? What's going on?" I asked, still sleepy as we rounded the corner of stairs. A rumbling sounded out, shaking the building. It scared me, and I gripped onto my mom tighter.

We were both still in pajamas. That's right - I was sleep. I was dreaming of mom and dad and I going to Disney World, for Christmas. Like they promised. 

Why were we still in our pajamas?

"Mirayu, I need you to turn your Quirk on, okay? The one that makes your blood flow." My mom's voice was rushed, not speaking too loud. We were going higher and higher, and I didn't know what to think.

"B-but it hurts my mouth," I complained, holding to her chest more. I was getting scared. 

We passed a window. I saw a red and black sky, no stars. 

"M-mommy?-"

"Mirayu, I need you to turn it on. Now. Please." I nodded, and winced as my sharp teeth slid out. Blood momentarily filled my mouth, and tears pricked my eyes, but I swallowed it. Mom breathed out.

We went up the last flight of stairs. "Listen, Mirayu. When we go outside it's going to be scary. I need you to be brave, okay? Can you do that to me, my little star?"

My lips quivered. Mom was making me scared. But I will listen, because listening to mom is always the best idea.

"Yes. I'll be brave, mommy." 

She paused at the door, and looked down at me. Her round, red eyes looked so calm and comforting, her red hair spilling over her shoulders into my face. My mom always looked really beautiful. I hope I look like her one day.

"Always be brave. Don't let anyone scare you, okay?" I nodded. Mom sounded so serious. 

She took in a deep breath and opened the door. I heard screaming, loud thuds as if rocks were falling from the sky, as if a wave of glass crashed down. I didn't let myself be afraid.

It was hot, outside. Though it was winter, it was hot and smelt really bad. Smoke, it smelled like smoke. I looked to the sky.

It was orange and red and black. I couldn't see the stars.

"Mirayu -" My mom cut off as the building shook violently, clutching me to her chest. She ran forward, and the building began to rock.

"Mommy, the buildings moving!" I shouted, holding onto her tightly. She didn't respond, and not letting go, I dug my face into her bosom. The world tilted, but my mom kept us upright.

"Mirayu, let go of me." 

"No!"

"Please, Mira. I need you to be even more brave and let go, okay? You'll be all right, okay?" Her voice was calm, even as we shook, mom struggling to keep us upright. She continued to run forward, as if we were on a moving platform.

I felt tears spring to my eyes, but I let go of my tight grip of my mom. Smoke filled my nose, a crashing sound filling my ears. We jumped, and landed on something rocky. My mom grunted.