We'll be Shooting Stars Just Passin' By (JEONGLIX)

Now Playing: Neon Lights by Demi Lovato

TW: DRINKING

"There's really no need to have so many people over tomorrow night," Jeongin protested, looking over the big table that was laid in the center of the room, his eyes landing on both the King and Queen by each other, his parents. "I'm just going to reject all of them in the end!"

"Don't speak nonsense!" the king yelled, turning around to face his son. "You're going to be the next ruler for this country so it's about time you get a queen alongside your reign!"

"I don't need a Queen!" the prince exclaimed; his fingers already balled up in a fist. They have had many arguments about this and each time, Jeongin had made it clear he wasn't interested in getting married to anyone, or more so, a woman; but his father never listened. "I don't need anyone to take over once you go! I can do just fine by myself."

"Jeongin, it is a tradition that a King must have his Queen right beside him," his father explained but only earned the younger shaking his head in disapproval.

"It's YOUR tradition, it's not mine," he emphasized. "Might as well cancel the masquerade, I'm not going to pick and choose."

He saw the King grit his teeth, "I'm the King here, if I say that you are to pick a wife by the end of the week, then you will. Do not test me, child."

Jeongin was about to explode but before he could even utter a single word, his father walked past him, purposefully bumping his shoulder against the younger's and left the room, leaving the conversation as it is. "For fuck's sake!" he kicked a chair down, startling some of the maids that were cleaning up there. "Why can't he just listen?!"

"You know your father wants you to have at least someone by your side," his mother softly said, walking up to him and placing a hand on his shoulder for comfort.

"But I don't want to marry a woman," he protested, "I'm not interested in them and I have made that very clear for him!"

"As he said, it's a tradition," she reminded, "he doesn't want our kingdom to be frowned upon because..."

His mother trailed off, seeming like she had implied something else accidentally but the prince knew what she was trying to tell. He turned to her, furrowing his eyebrows, "Because it's not common for a man to marry another man."

The Queen didn't say anything else; she knew she had hit a nerve somewhere in her son and she didn't mean to. Jeongin came clean about his sexuality long ago and to say that his parents were upset would be an understatement; it led to a huge conflict till the point where they wouldn't speak to each other for several months.

His parents were obviously hurt by it but they knew that they couldn't banish him like this since he was their son, their bloodline, and the next heir to the throne. Plus, they love their son so they decided to accept it as it is; well, the Queen did.

Jeongin and his father still haven't really spoken about the whole thing yet but they were on good terms, that is...until now.

"It's always been like this, son," the Queen stated, "We both love you; we really do but it's always a King and a Queen ruling a kingdom."

"Then why can't we be the first to have two kings ruling a kingdom?" Jeongin questioned. "Why can't there be two Queens ruling a kingdom? Better yet, why can't I just take the throne without the need to get married?"

"You're making yourself an easy target for potential wars," the Queen reasoned. "Ruling a kingdom isn't about taking over your father's position and taking care of your people; you have to face certain problems, you would have to create alliances in the future, you would have to find ways to beat your enemy."