Chapter 4- The Day We Went Down

The war only lasted a few hours. The monsters were at a great disadvantage and were quickly driven underground. That day was May 22nd. Every May 22nd, for the next 6 years, a human child fell into the mountain. None of them ever returned. Every May 22nd I went back to that playground, but this year was different. I called Sofia on my phone and told her to meet me at the top of Mount Ebott and she agreed.

"Why are we at the place where a human child dies every year?" Sofia asked calmly.

"Because a human isn't going to die this year. We're gonna stop them." I replied. We waited at the top of the mountain the entire day but no one came.

I looked at my phone "It's 11:59. Maybe the curse will end this year!"

"That would be nice." Sophia replied. She looked over my shoulder and stared at the clock like I did. Just as the clock struck 12, I heard wind rushing in my ears and I suddenly felt like I was falling. I woke up on a bed of golden flowers. We're in the underground! I realized. I sat up when I heard something. It was just Sophia, when she moved it made a noise. Wait. Sofia fell too! Oops.

"Well this'll be fun" I joked as I stood up. I helped Sofia to her feet.

"I thought falling in immediately killed you. Guess I was wrong."

"Huh. Maybe we won't be like all of those other kids." Sophia shrugged. I remembered the day the war started, six years ago.

"Do you remember Sans and Papyrus?" I asked Sophia as we looked down a dark hallway. The hall was the only way out so we started walking.

"Of course I do! I had a huge crush on Papyrus." She laughed "And I remember you kissed Sans like 3 times." My face started to heat up.

"Aww. Do you still like him?" Sophia teased.

"Do you still like Papyrus?" I retorted.

"Fair enough." She replied as she turned red. At the end of the hallway there was door that led into a dark room.

"Do you think we'll find them?" I asked. We stepped into the room.

"Maybe." She shrugged. And then the flower showed up.

"Howdy! I'm Flowey. Flowey the Flower." The flower said. It had golden petals and the middle was white and had a face. The flower spoke with a squeaky voice, almost like a child.

"Um... Hello, Flowey. Do you know Sans and Papyrus?" I asked nervously. After all, talking flowers aren't something you see every day!

"No, I've never heard of them. But before you go I want to help you with something else." Flowey said. Before I could respond a light blue heart flashed in frost of me. A green heart flashed in front of Sophia. The world turned dark and I saw four rectangles in front of me. They all said something different. There was fight, act, item, and mercy. I looked up and saw Flowey, but he didn't have any color, he was just black and white. I imagined that Sophia was seeing the same thing.

"That heart is your soul. Your soul is the very culmination of your being. Your soul needs love so collect these friendliness pellets that I'm about to send you!" Flowey said calmly. I'm not sure why but I didn't trust Flowey so when me and Sophia's souls popped up in front of us, I dodged the "friendliness pellets" and Sophia did the same.

"Hey kids" Flowey said, sounding a bit annoyed "Your supposed to run into the pellets." Flowey sent more "friendliness pellets" our way, but we just dodged them again.

"Run in to the pellets!" Flowey shouted, he seemed to be getting hysterical.

When we dodged them once more, Flowey said "You know what's going on here, don't ya? Well, kids... in this world it's kill or be killed!" Flowey yelled and began to maniacally laugh. Friendliness pellets surrounded me and Sophia's souls and they were slowly closing in.

"(y/n)! What do we do?" Sophia cried. I shrugged my shoulders and stood there watching the pellets get closer and closer. Then a fireball appeared and knocked Flowey out of the way. We were saved! The world got its color back, at least the little color it had in the dark room.

"What a horrible creature. Torturing such poor innocent youths." I looked up to see what our savior looked like. She was a goat, except she stood on two legs and could speak english. "Hello my children. I am Toriel, caretaker of the ruins. Come with me please." There was only one door that led forwards so we really didn't have a choice. This lady saved us so she couldn't want to hurt us. Right?

The goat lady led us through some puzzles and then said, "I am sorry my children but I have some business to take care of elsewhere." And then she disappeared through a doorway and when we followed her she was gone. There was more puzzles blah blah blah. And then we got to Toriel's house. Or the room before Toriel's house. There was a big tree with red leaves. Toriel ran from behind the tree.

"My children! Are you alright? I am so sorry that I left you alone for so long. I was attempting to bake a- Well... I suppose I cannot keep it a secret any longer." Toriel stopped, possibly for dramatic effect "I don't know how long you will be staying here, but I have baked a butterscotch-cinnamon pie for tonight. I have another surprise as well! Follow me." Toriel turned to her house and walked through the front door. Everything was purple as she led us into a hallway to the left. She went into the first doorway. It had two beds. One of the beds had sheets and a comforter the color of my soul and the other had the color of Sophia's soul. It was strange, but I just assumed that Toriel was very observant and noticed our soul colors when she saved us from Flowey.

"This is your own room, my children." Toriel sniffed the air, which looked pretty strange.

"Do you children smell something burning!?" Toriel asked. She sniffed the air again and ran out of the room. I could only assume that the pie that Toriel was talking about had started to burn.

"I'm tired." I yawned to Sophia as I kicked off my shoes.

"Me too." She yawned back, taking her shoes off as well.

"I'm going to sleep. We've been up since 6:00 trying to make sure a kid didn't fall down here. We need some rest." I reasoned, so that I didn't feel rude for sleeping without telling Toriel "thank you". Me and Sophia lied down and I fell asleep instantly.