15-the mixup

The cylindrical intoxicant rolled off Aaliyahs palm, as she snuggled her shuddering legs closer to her body. Taking in the breath of fresh air somewhat eased the regretful running thoughts.

The astronomy tower had been her go-to, every time she needed some space to think. But due to the recent events, it almost seemed impossible for the young witch to enter the tower. Dementors guarding all the entrances didnt help with the sneaking-in.

She declined Sirius offer to accompany her to the astronomy tower in his dog form, she had decided to take her owl instead. She let out a giggle when she remembered the birds naming ceremony.

"Are you done?" a 12-year-old Amelia groaned as she leaned her head back annoyedly on the stilted chair.

"A minute!" Xena responded from the other side of the staff room, whereas Severus regretted giving his daughter and her newly made dim-witted friends the password to the staff room for the Christmas break, as they had opted to stay behind. And as she had persuaded him to do so, stating that she had something planned.

The dark-haired man almost envied the other professors who were not present in the room and who didnt have to go through this futility. He found this same demeanor etching the Transfiguration professor's  face as she slowly put her quill down.

"Ladies and Professor Snape" Xena announced "We present to you Minerva McGonag-owl"

On cue, Aaliyah entered theatrically with the bird sitting on her wrist.
"Oh Merlin", Amelia rolled her eyes as she saw her friend doing the circle of life bit from The Lion King.

Severus stifled a peal of laughter hearing the name, whereas the Gryffindor head had a rather stoic expression, contemplating what had just occurred before her but if one looked carefully, you could find a faint smile plastered on her face.

The sudden gust snapped her out of her thoughts, as she considerately looked at the fallen cigarette stick. Her hand itched with the absence of the intoxicant, but she didnt comply with her thoughts instead she enjoyed the towers tranquility.

The witchs breath tethered hearing the creaking of the floor behind her, without further ado she yanked the wand from her boots and pointed it at the intruder.

"It's just me" Remus defeatedly raised his hands.

"Gallopin Gorgons" Aaliyah strained immediately getting off her butt, "I think that's my cue to leave"

Before she could reach the door, Remus calloused fingers loosely held hers, "Where do you think you're going?"

Aaliyah looked at him as if she were a deer caught in the headlights. "Miss Snape I can't let you go alone with dementors lurking at every entrance"

"It's fine sir, I'll manage" she replied amicably.

"It wasnt a question Aaliyah" Remus mused, his taller figure towering over the young witch.

Before she could protest Remus continued "And meet me at detention tomorrow at 5."

After a long day, the witch knuckles knocked firmly on classroom 3c. "Professor?" she tried again when she didnt hear any response from the other side of the room.

Thinking perhaps he's running late, Aaliyah diffidently showed herself inside the empty classroom. Tucking her cold hands in her pants, she admired the iron chandelier hanging from the wall.

"Sorry for my tardiness" Remus apologized profusely walking into the classroom.

"It's alright, sir"Aaliyah waved it off with a smile before heaving a breath "What do you want me to do today?"

"Nothing just wanted to talk" Remus leaned his body against the table as he folded his arms.

"So, you called me for a detention, because you wanted to talk?" the witch enquired, creasing her eyebrows together.

"And you were out past curfew Miss Snape"

"Well sir, what did you want to talk about?" she neared the professor, smirking to herself at Remus sudden flustered physique.

"I uh you" he started to stutter from the nearness of their bodies. But in an instant his flustered demeanor died down, confidence sparkling his amber eyes.

"I'm still waiting for an explanation for your absurd behavior that night" he gruffly ordered, "I don't like to be kept waiting"

Aaliyah went along with the act, knowing very well he was talking about their unfinished conversation on the Halloween feast. She didnt know what overtook her as she teased "Or what sir?"

"Or you will be punished" he asserted. Comprehending what he had just professed, he clears his throat "And points Miss Snape..points will be taken from your house, please take a seat".

The brunette nodded, covering her disappointment of Remus' oh-so-subtle behavioral change with a fake smile as she sat on the chair opposite his work table.

After a minute of silence, Remus noticed the witch's shifty manner and how she fumbled with the long sleeves of her shirt. It looked like she was contemplating how to voice her words. Swiftly, yet cautiously he held her rather cold hands, a way of telling her to take her time.

This somehow calmed Aaliyah, and she tentatively spoke "Sirius Black is innocent"

"W-what?" he shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

"Sirius Black is innocent"

"And why do you think that?"he discreetly pulled his hand from hers.

"There wasn't a proper trial held for his hearing" she tried to reason with him, without giving any crucial information away, "And he would never do that to his daughter"

"H-how do you know about her?" Remus face paled as white as a ghost.

"He told me" she deadpanned.

"What?!?!"

"Dumbledore" she blurted out "Dumbledore, he uh told me"

"Aaliyah,that doesn't prove anything" Remus rubbed his eyes frustratedly.

"Look, you knew Sirius, do you think he'd be the one who would betray his best friend, he loved them more than anything. And like I said before there wasn't a proper trial held" she leaned forward "And how are we sure that he killed Peter? There was no body found,Remus"she hinted.

Remus opened and closed his mouth, not knowing how to respond as her statement was logical. He tried to get up, accidentally knocking the vial of wolfsbane by his elbow.

He yelped lowly, and his arm reflexively stretched forward to hold the falling potion. But the witch had already trapped it in her steady hand.

"Careful Remus!" she scolded, placing the vial back in its position. "It took me days to make this" she gingerly looked at the ampoule, making sure it wasnt cracked.

"Wh-what did you just say?"