Mr. Brightside (M!Reader)

TW! Drinking/alcohol, a clingy/uncomfortably close person at a bar. There's also some angst (that gets resolved) so be careful! Also, I have absolutely zero clue how bars or karaoke nights work so take anything I say about it with a grain of salt.

It's a bit away from the ordinary for me but I felt like doing something a little different. Enjoy!

One of the weirdest decisions you've made so far, agreeing to go out to a pub with Wilbur, Jack, George, and Phil. But it ended up being pretty good, the pub you went to was having a karaoke night that you could participate in. You'd had a couple drinks, but not nearly as many as Jack and George. Wilbur was currently on his second or third, Phil wasn't drinking tonight at all, apart from water.

"Let me get you another."

You rolled your eyes, pushing the empty glass towards the middle of your table. "Wil no it's fine-"

"Too late." He was already getting up and heading towards the bar. You sighed and leaned your head on your hand, glancing at Phil who was giving you a knowing look.

"I haven't told him yet, stop looking at me like that."

"Jesus Christ, Y/N, you have to tell him eventually." You groaned and watched the bar, feeling your face heat up slightly as your gaze landed on Wilbur's back, ordering the drinks. Your stomach turned when you saw a woman walk up to him, obviously taking interest. Wilbur was a handsome man, of course people would be interested, and you didn't have a right to be jealous. Not really. You were just friends.

"I will, Phil... eventually." Your chest hurt slightly when she slipped a piece of paper to Wilbur, running her hand over his arm before sauntering away.

"Eventually better be sooner than later, I hate having to see you like this, mate."

Wilbur's face was flushed slightly when he came back, setting your drink next to you. "Sorry, got a bit caught up."

"I saw that... she's pretty." You took a sip, using it to push down the rising emotions.

"Yeah.. not really my type though..." You just about choked and raised an eyebrow at him, to which he just shrugged. "I threw her phone number out as soon as she walked off. Maybe she's nice, but I don't really go for girls in bars."

"Whatever you say, Wilby." He gently hit you, ignoring the laughter coming from George and Jack at the nickname. "I'll be right back." You got up and headed to the sign ups for karaoke, putting your name and song down before heading back to the table, glancing at the number you'd been given.

"What song are you doing?" Wilbur leaned on your shoulder slightly, glancing at the slip of paper as if it had any other information on it.

"It's a surprise." You nursed your drink while you waited your turn, shoving Wilbur every now and then when he kept bugging you about what song you'd chosen. When it was finally your turn, you headed up to the stage and took a deep breath, listening to the opening notes of Mr. Brightside before you started singing, looking right at Wilbur.

Wilbur POV

He wondered how he knew the song until the lyrics hit him, swallowing. "It's a surprise." What kind of surprise was a depressing song about someone hopelessly in love? Then he made eye contact right as the girl started to be mentioned, except it wasn't a girl in this version. "Now I'm falling asleep and he's calling a cab; while she's having a smoke and he's taking a drag."

"He?" He didn't really mean to ask out loud but he heard Phil hum beside him.

"I think he's said he prefers guys."