big time babysitters

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Hey," she greeted, making him jump a bit.

Kendall looked up and let out a smile, seeing that it was her.

"Hey, happy birthday again."

"Why aren't you out enjoying the party?" She wondered.

He shrugged, "Needed a place to think. Why aren't you?"

"I was looking for you," she nonchalantly responded. "Um, I was told that you planned this entire thing for me, Kendork."

"Well, best friends do this type of stuff for each other, right?"

"Yeah, best friends."

"Where's Dak?"

"He didn't show. He forgot my birthday."

The silence was overwhelming, so Ella took the necklace out of its box, dangling it front of Kendall. "Can you help me put it on?"

Hesitantly, Kendall stood up, taking the necklace from her. Ella turned her back towards him, lifting her hair out of the way. Ella swallowed the lump in her throat when she felt his hand brush against her neck. Kendall had been fumbling with the clasp of the necklace for a while, so Ella snickered. "Do you need some help, Hockey Head?"

He scoffed, finally connecting it. "I got it."

Ella dropped her hair, staring down at the pendant that was dangling from her neck, as she turned to face Kendall again.

"It suits you," he mumbled.

She was now fully aware at how close they were. Kendall must've noticed too because his mouth went dry as he stared down at the blonde girl. Ella wanted to look away, but she couldn't. This wasn't what friends did, especially when one of them had a boyfriend. She was about to break their gaze, until-

"Hey, guys—Oh."

━━━━

ELLA HAD LET that moment secretly replay in her mind ever since it happened last night. What would've happened if the rest of their friends had never interrupted? Even though Dak had royally screwed up by forgetting her birthday, was she really about to do the one thing that absolutely gutted her a couple months ago and do it to Dak?

No, it was just a mistake. That's all it was. She was hurt that Dak had failed to show up and was overcome with emotion when Kendall admitted he planned the surprise for her and gifted her with that star necklace. As she walked down the familiar streets to Dak's apartment, she couldn't help but feel for the necklace around her neck. It was still there, sitting so delicately over her long sleeve shirt. The rare autumn breeze in L.A. was unfamiliar but welcoming to say the least.

It was early, around 8 in the morning. She had woken up to many missed phones calls from Dak who had landed back in L.A. in the middle of the night, begging her to come over in the morning so they could talk it out. This complicated things for the girl who was currently in the middle of recording her 3rd album and was scheduled to be at Rocque Records by 7. She had to move things around, so she could hash it out with her boyfriend.

Knocking on the door to his place, it immediately swung open with Dak on the other side. It tugged on Ella's heart to see how exhausted he looked. He must've had only a few hours of sleep. However, he wouldn't have had only a few hours to sleep if he hadn't replaced his girlfriend's birthday with a festival in New York City.