big time fever

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

TODAY WAS ONE of the hottest days in L.A.

That meant it was the perfect day to go swim in the Palm Woods pool.

Not being able to find James in the crib, Ella shrugged her shoulders before grabbing a bag and racing downstairs with the rest of the boys, who were carrying towels and pool noodles.

They all excitedly clamored out the door, until they stopped in their tracks to see all the teens standing by the pool, watching Bitters float by himself, enjoying the cool water.

"It's 95 degrees out. Why is Bitters the only one in the pool?" Kendall questioned, confused.

"Hey, guys, check out the sign." Tyler said, poking himself out of the crowd.

" 'Adult Swim. No Kids Allowed'." Carlos exclaimed, reading off of the whiteboard.

They turned in disbelief to see Bitters hold up an "OK" sign with his hands, while sipping on a coconut.

"That's just plain rude." Logan stated.

"You're a menace, Bitters." Ella remarked to the man, who just dismissed her.

"No, no, no, no, no. You guys are reading it wrong." Kendall exclaimed, taking out a marker to correct the board. "It says, 'Adult Swim? No, Kids Allowed!' "

Everyone cheered as they all simultaneously jumped in the pool, knocking Bitters off his chair.

"You're great, you know that?" Ella said, turning to look at Kendall.

"I've been told." He shrugged sarcastically as she jokingly shoved him.

Camille walked up to the teens. "She's right, you all are. I mean, a few months in Hollywood usually changes people, but you're still the same down-to-earth guys you were when you got here."

"Thanks, Camille." Ella smiled, happy about the compliment. From day one, she never wanted to turn out snobby and entitled (like the Jennifers). She wanted to stay her humbled and hardworking self.

"Hey, guys." James interrupted, putting a hand on Logan's shoulders.

Ella did a double take looking at him because he was...orange.

James casually walked to one of the pool chairs, setting down his stuff.

"Another tan-tastic day in Hollywood," he exclaimed, leaning back and reading a magazine.

As the group stared at him in bewilderment, they all shuffled further away from him.

"Does he know he looks like a yam?" Logan whispered.

"He legit looks like a carrot." Ella added, squinting her eyes.

"Looks like I spoke too soon. James has Hollywood Fever," stated Camille as her friends swiftly turned their heads to her and back to the orange boy.

"Oh, no. I told him not to buy those clams from the guy on the freeway." Carlos huffed in frustration as Ella gave him a concerned look.

"No, this town is starting to change him, and the heat is clearly making it worse." Camille corrected.

"Not possible." Kendall said in defense. "Look, we made a pact when we got here to stay true to ourselves."

Ella shook her head. "Yeah, look at him," she remarked as the three boys turned their heads to see a bright orange James smiling at them.

Camille continued, "You have to shut this down before it snowballs, like it did with Guitar Dude." Ella looked over to where she pointed to see him with his guitar, sitting with a group of girls. "When he first moved here, he was a concert cellist." Camille explained. "Oh, yeah, and when the Jennifers moved here..." The group watched as the three girls walked towards them in slow motion, wind blowing in their faces. "They walked in normal motion."