Epilogue

Ending 

If life was a book, an open book, I would always choose this character. I'll be the certain one. I'll be the one that's so sure. I'll be the one that waits.

I am not cold, I'm just not warm to everyone. It's not that I do not care, it's just that I couldn't give the attention that everyone wants. I was like that, but she wasn't.

"What did I tell you?! Hindi siya aalis! But you didn't believe me! Umalis ka sa gitna ng meeting! How unprofessional can you be?!" Mom bombarded.

"Pabalik na ako, mom," mahinahong sabi ko.

If I care about myself more than I care about others, she's the opposite of that. If I care about my peace more than the serene of others, she's far from that. I noticed it from the very first time. She's getting her peace from others... Others that are not me...

I once told myself that I would never be like that. 'Cause I knew I could create my own peace. My own serenity is what I made of me. But she started taking that away from me.

"You're always not listening! Sinabi ko na nga sa 'yong hindi siya sasama sa Tita niya!" Mom bellowed even more.

"But what if she did? What if she did, Mom? At wala ulit ako roon. Hindi ko ulit siya maaabutan doon," my voice almost croaked. Hindi na nakasagot si mommy kaya pinatay ko na rin ang call.

All of a sudden, she was my peace. I didn't even notice how everything had changed. Maybe because I let it all happened. When she attacked, I didn't even fight back. When she started taking me, I stood still. I let her be.

A conversation like that with mom was still a breather to me. It took us a long time to overcome our gap. Dad left before I could even remember his face. Mom became cold to me without even feeling her warmth. My childhood wasn't normal until Unique joined me.

"Jace!" Niq called me from afar. "Hintayin lang natin si Lorainne," tumango ako sa kaniya. We'll eat lunch together.

Usually, kaming dalawa naman talaga since elementary. Nagsimula na kasi siyang manligaw a year ago, kaya pinapasama niya na sa amin si Lorainne. They're childhood sweethearts, I guess. She's fine, although he's too much for her.

"Aattend ka ba ng flag retreat mamaya? May sandaling program daw kasi may awarding para sa mga nanalo sa Journalism Club," pag-aaya ni Niq.