Chapter 48

ALPHA MARCELLUS STORM

The time that it had taken his Beta and warriors to reach Anastasia's house in neutral territory was more than enough for Marcellus to scour the entire area around her house only to come up with nothing. He searched her entire property from top to bottom, and then proceeded to sniff around her neighbour's houses but he wasn't able to pick up on any foreign scents, and definitely no werewolf or supernatural scents.

How much longer is it going to take you? Marcellus asked Dalton through his mind link, the frustration in his voice evident, so much so that he had accidentally broken one of her glasses as he had tried to pour himself a glass of water.

We're nearly there. Five more minutes should do. Dalton replied in a rushed voice, very easily able to sense the Alpha's frantic mood. While he still hadn't received an explanation as to what was going on or why Marcellus had ordered them to get to Anastasia's house as soon as possible, Dalton didn't waste any time by asking questions and for that, Marcellus would be eternally grateful; as if he wasn't already.

Another time, he would be more than happy to sit down and explain the peculiar situation between him and his mate however, now was just not the time for that.

Okay. Just hurry. Marcellus huffed as he crouched down to sweep up the shards of glass that had just broken by his feet, not the least bit concerned about cutting himself.

When he cut the tips of his fingers, a few drops of blood bubbling to the surface and dripping onto the ground, Marcellus simply hissed in response but continued to try and clean up the glass. While he was sure that his mate wouldn't be happy about him breaking one of her glasses, especially since it looked like it was part of a set, he would just have to deal with her later. In fact, he would be more than happy and willing to take whatever tongue lashing and punishment that she wanted to dish out but now, all he was concerned about was finding his mate and making sure that she got home safe and sound.

When he realised that he wouldn't be able to get every small shard by just using his fingers, Marcellus quickly searched the kitchen for a dustpan and brush. Once he located the cleaning device, he returned to his previous crouching position and thankfully, cleaning everything up was far easier and a simpler ordeal, managing to sweep it all up in a matter of moments.

There has to be some sort of rational explanation as to where she is. His wolf demanded in a gruff voice, his tone predominantly consisting of a mix of worry, fear and an intense need to know. Anastasia can't just have disappeared into thin air.

You're right, but I wasn't able to pick up any scents. He groaned as he made his way over to the bin, intending to dispose of the broken shards of glass.

You may be an Alpha wolf but you're not a tracker.

I told Dalton to bring the trackers, too, so hopefully they can pick up on something that we missed. Marcellus nodded.

His wolf merely hummed in response, though the sound was far from peaceful or at ease. In fact, it sounded even more worried than before.

Marcellus groaned in frustration as he pressed down on the foot pedal for the lid of the bin to open up but before he could dispose of the broken glass, his lips tugged down further at the corners, surprised to see a fresh bouquet of red roses that were still in the wrapping.

Immediately, the thought of his mate receiving a bouquet of roses from someone that wasn't him – and most probably Harvey as it was obvious to anyone alive that he had an interest in Anastasia – angered him but Marcellus gritted his teeth as he willed himself to push past that clouded vision to look at the bigger picture.