Chapter 22

ALPHA MARCELLUS STORM

"Hi." He whispered, his whole resolve near crumbling as she turned to gaze upon with her beautiful baby blues.

A moment passed in which her breathing hadn't so much as changed. He frowned at that, wondering if she hadn't heard him but before he could repeat himself, his wolf needed to add his two cents.

Maybe if you didn't speak like such a pussy, she would have heard you.

And what do you suggest? Scream at the top of my lungs and declare my undying love for her?

Well, that would definitely escalate things. His wolf snorted but before he could further inject his musings and recommendations, Marcellus was quick to shut him out. And just so we're clear, I'm not the least bit opposed to that proposal.

Of course, you're not. He scoffed.

When he returned his attention to his mate, he was surprised to find her staring back at him with a frown on her face, so intense that her eyebrows furrowed together in the middle.

"Hi." Anastasia murmured quietly before turning her head away from him and to continue staring at the forest, though he didn't miss the way her eyes lingered on him, almost as if she was forcing herself to look away.

When her eyes landed on a long stick by her foot, she pressed a hand against her stomach and leaned forward to pick it up, needing something to distract herself from the big bad Alpha wolf that was currently staring holes into the side of her head despite it being the middle of the night.

"Shouldn't you be in bed?" She asked abruptly, refusing to look at him as she dug the edge of the stick into the ground, beginning to dig a small hole.

"I could ask you the same thing." Marcellus hummed quietly as he continued to observe his mate, his arms crossed over his chest as he internally battled to keep his wolf at bay.

If his wolf had his way, then he would be telling Anastasia that they were mates before proceeding to tell her that he was completely and utterly in love with her already. And while that was not far from the truth, Marcellus wasn't sure if he was ready to tell her the truth yet, more so afraid of the way she would react after the way he had treated her a few weeks ago.

"Fair enough. I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd come out and get some fresh air." She hummed quietly. "Now what about you?"

"What about me?" He questioned with a mock puzzled look on his face even though he knew exactly what she meant, just wanted a reason to hear her speak some more. He especially loved the little line between her eyebrows that popped up whenever she frowned.

"What are you doing up this late?"

"I haven't gone to bed yet." Marcellus found himself admitting honestly, not really sure why he was opening up to her yet the notion was not unwelcomed.

Anastasia nodded as she continued randomly digging the stick into the ground, quickly swallowing the question that was on the tip of her tongue.

"You look like you want to say something." Marcellus hummed, watching her closely, unable to take his eyes off her. "You can ask whatever you want. I won't mind." He urged her quietly, wishing for her to open up to him even if he didn't deserve it.

"I'm only here because I had an appointment with the pack doctor." Anastasia began with a roll of her eyes, not even sure why she was opening up to him as he most certainly didn't deserve it. "I had initially planned to leave as soon as the appointment was over but we went out for dinner and then I was tired so Justas and Raphael insisted I stay here. The only reason I agreed to stay the night was because they said you had been at a neighbouring pack all day and probably wouldn't be returning tonight since it was already so late."