Chapter 14

ALPHA MARCELLUS STORM

Marcellus was in the right mind to call Justas and Raphael back just so he could get his questions answered but with the way Dalton was looking at him right now, it appeared that he didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

"Do you know what time it is?" He hummed quietly as his Beta took the seat that Justas was previously occupying.

"I could ask you the same thing, Mars." Dalton snorted as he jerked a thumb toward the door, pointing out the fact that he was holding meetings in his office despite it being nearly midnight.

"Well, I needed to apologise for my earlier behaviour. That's what I was talking to Justas and Raphael about." He sighed and ran an embarrassed hand down his face, cringing just at the thought with the way he had overreacted in front of his mate.

"Yeah, you were acting really strange." The Beta added cautiously, aware that Marcellus had lost his cool over this exact topic not even an hour ago. "Can I ask what all of that was about?"

Marcellus pursed his lips, rubbing a hand down his jaw.

"I'd rather not." He chuckled lightly; his lips stretched out in a grimace. "I'd rather not talk about it. It's kind of embarrassing."

"Fair enough, but I've never seen you so prejudiced against humans before."

"That's exactly what she said."

"Who?"

"Anastasia." Marcellus murmured quietly, his lips twitching at the corners just at the thought of her.

Dalton frowned lightly as he stared at his Alpha and friend, surprised by his reaction toward the human that he had been engaged in a pretty lively screaming match not even an hour ago. However, before he could ask him about him, Marcellus had a question to ask.

"What did you want to talk to me about, Dal?" Marcellus asked casually, hoping to change the topic and shine the light away from Anastasia even though she was at the centre of all his thoughts.

"I just got a call from the council."

Marcellus visibly perked up with a huge grin on his face.

"My dad called?" He asked, already reaching for his phone to dial his father's number whom had joined the elders on the werewolf council last year after his mate and Marcellus' mother had passed away.

"No, not your dad." Dalton shook his head. "But you probably would want to give him a call after I tell you what the council had to say about you."

"I'm not going to like this, am I?" He frowned at that, confused and with his fingers wrapped around his phone, not really sure if he was supposed to call his father now or not.

Dalton shook his head and chuckled, though the sound was far from humorous.

"Dal, what are you talking about?" Marcellus hummed in question as he dropped his phone on the desk and reclined back in his seat, prompting Dalton to explain.

"The council think that you've been running the pack by yourself for too long."

"I haven't been running the pack by myself. I've been running it with you." Marcellus snorted as his lips twitched at the corners. "Did you tell them that?"

Dalton pursed his lips as he grappled for the right set of words that would perfectly explain the situation while causing minimum damage but when he couldn't find one, he sighed and exhaled heavily, bracing himself to be on the receiving end of a fit of rage with what he had to say.