Chapter 42

ALPHA MARCELLUS STORM

"What have we got to talk about?"

Instead of answering her rather futile question, Marcellus snorted in response and walked past her to head back into the living room. However, he didn't stop there as he breezed past the sofa and headed into the kitchen where all the food, no doubt, had turned cold now.

"What are you doing?" She asked in a quiet, curious voice from her position in the doorway of the kitchen, watching as he sat in her previous seat and began eating off her plate, not even bothering to change the cutlery that she had used.

"I had been on a run before coming here so I'm absolutely starved." He mumbled through a mouthful of tomato pasta, reaching out to dish some out onto a second plate before sliding it across the table, moving Harvey's plate of rice out of the way; just as he had removed the rogue wolf from the situation. "Why don't you join me?"

"I don't understand what's going on here." Anastasia shook her head, not daring to take a step closer as she knew that once she was back under his charm, it was near impossible to leave.

That extra week she had remained at the pack after their big argument, she was constantly fighting herself to stay away from him, not that this past week away from his and the pack house had been any easier. On more than one occasion every day, she had felt the need to get into her car, drive over there and demand to see him; not that he wasn't willing to bend over backwards for whatever demands or asks she had.

If Raphael and Justas hadn't visited her with baby Alistair a couple of times this past week, she was sure that she would have caved in despite how much of a bad idea she knew it would turn out to be. Not only would she be disappointing herself by giving in, but she would be going back on her word to truly teach him a lesson – not yet sure if that took rejection off the table or not – and not only would that be sabotaging herself, but the both of them and the potential that they could be. If she gave in now, she would only be showing him that what he had done was okay; something that he would be able to repeat in the future – either intentionally or unintentionally – and get away with as he had done so in the past.

"I'm asking my mate to have dinner with me." He shrugged, placing his fork down on the table, almost as if refusing to continue until she joined him. "Is that so wrong?"

"Yes." Anastasia sighed and rolled her eyes. "It's terribly wrong, especially since you've just kicked out my friend. The same friend that has brought this dinner for us to enjoy."

"If I remember correctly, you were the one that ordered for him to leave." Marcellus pursed his lips and watched her carefully, almost as if daring her to deny it. "I simply did you a favour by closing the door."

"You forced me."

"I would never force you to do anything you wouldn't want to do, and we both know that."

"Do we?" Anastasia cocked a questioning brow and crossed her arms over her chest, a frustrated sigh passing her lips. "If I remember correctly," she began, choosing to throw his words back at him. "You forced me to believe in a lie with absolutely no intention of telling me the truth that we're mates."

"That's not fair." Marcellus frowned slightly, blinking up at her from the chair he was sat on, still holding onto the hope that she would join him.

"I believe that you withholding some very valuable information from is also unfair, yet you didn't hear me complaining." Her lips curled up at the corners, though the expression on her face was far from pleasant or the least bit friendly. "Maybe that's because you decided to keep me completely in the dark."

A few moments passed as the mated couple simply stared back at each other, unable to look away despite the uncomfortable tension in the air.

"Can we please talk about this later?" Marcellus asked quietly, finally breaking the silence as his eyes trailed away from her and back to his plate.