Chapter 36 ~ The Punishment

Start from the beginning

Next was Hayley and Hope, Elijah, and finally Rebekah.

"You'd better come and visit me soon, okay?" she said softly, hugging me goodbye. "It's been too long and I haven't seen anywhere near enough of you tonight."

Gulping, I sighed against her shoulder, relaxing in her arms. Rebekah felt safe. Elijah felt safe. Hayley felt safe.

It was such a damn shame that Klaus felt like anything but.

"Of course," I replied, forcing a smile. It was a lie, obviously. After what I was planning, it would be a long time before I would get to see any of them again, making each goodbye that much harder.

Rushing out to the parking lot once I'd managed to slip away without Klaus noticing, I only had to wait another few minutes before Tyler arrived.

I was about to jump in the passenger's side before stopping in my tracks, noticing someone already in my seat, head down to avoid eye contact. Rolling my eyes, I got in the back, trying my hardest not to cause a scene.

"Nice to see you're still in one piece," my brother commented as I shut my door.

"Can we just go home?" I sighed, rubbing my forehead. "Please?"

Tyler sped away from the Mikaelson residence, both of us thankful to see the back of it.

"So what happened? Was it the bloodbath you'd anticipated?" he wondered as he drove.

"No. But he wanted to make a deal with me," I explained quietly. I really didn't want to experience a re-run of my humiliation.

Tyler glanced at me in the rear-view mirror. "What deal?"

"For me to stay sired to him," I replied. "If I did, he said he'd leave us all alone."

My brother scoffed. "You turned him down, right?"

I shook my head. "How could I? He put me on the spot. Everyone was watching."

Tyler groaned. "Kayla, you can't stay sired to that psycho - trust me."

Tutting, I threw my hands up in frustration. "You think I don't already know that?" I snapped sarcastically. He was so infuriating sometimes.

"Well, what did your boyfriend have to say about that?" he teased.

I tensed. "Don't," I warned.

My brother's girlfriend was incredibly quiet. Nothing to say on this particular topic then, huh?

"So are you going to tell me what went down between you guys?" Tyler pushed on.

Glancing between him and Liv, I shook my head. "Not right now," I murmured.

Tyler tutted. "Liv isn't going to say anything."

I just glared at him in the mirror, refusing to say another word on the subject.

Finally accepting my silence as an answer, Tyler turned the radio up as we drove home, the tension in the car becoming unbearable.

Eventually we got back to the mansion. I thanked Tyler for the ride before disappearing into the house, refusing to even look in Liv's direction. Hurrying up to my bedroom, I collapsed on my bed, unsure if I had the willpower to try and wrestle this damn dress off me.

***

Kai's POV

Hands shoved into my pockets, I hurried home as fast as I could, needing to be away from everything and everyone. I turned down into an alleyway, taking a shortcut - the quicker I was back at my apartment, the better.