Chapter 33 ~ The Ring

Start from the beginning

"I thought chocolate was toxic to reindeer?"

She tutted. "Rudolph isn't a dog."

I smirked. "Rudolph also isn't real."

"Grinch," she teased, before grabbing the first present from under the tree and passing it to me. "Here you go."

"Thank you," I murmured with a small smile, unable to stop myself as I quickly teared away the paper.

Holding up the new grey hooded jacket, I chuckled, glancing over at Mikaela. "Are you trying to tell me I need better fashion sense?"

She shook her head rapidly, almost panicking. "What? No! I just thought you'd look really good in it and-"

I cut her off with another laugh. "I'm kidding, Mickie. I love it. Thank you."

She grinned. "You're very welcome. Here, have another," she said, passing me a second gift.

I frowned before attempting to open this one. "What about your presents? I haven't even got them out yet."

Mikaela dismissed me with a flick of her hand. "I can have mine later. I want to see you open yours first."

I hummed in thought but said nothing else, curiosity getting the better of me. Ripping the gift wrap away, I was excited to find a box containing a brand new cologne. Squirting a small amount on my wrist, I sniffed lightly, surprised by the pleasant scent; top notes containing peppermint and lavender, base notes a mixture of musk and sandalwood to give that masculine aroma.

An aroma, I happened to know, Mikaela would find irresistible.

"I love this, Mickie. Thank you so much," I gushed.

Her cheeks turned rosy. "Aw, it's no problem," she replied easily. "I have plenty more where that came from." With that, she handed me another present.

Gift after gift, my collection was rapidly building. Mikaela had gotten me a pile of new outfits including multiple pairs of jeans, t-shirts, sweaters and hoodies, plus the two new pairs of footwear; some sneakers and combat boots. I also had an array of rings and chains. On top of that were the dozens of CDs and boxsets containing some of my favourite movies of all time. Next I opened up a brand new cooking set for my kitchen. Then some techy-looking earphones and a flashy, expensive watch. I thought my time being spoiled was finally over when I opened the men's bath gift set. I was very wrong, however.

"This is the special one," Mikaela said with a smirk, passing me a large square-shaped present that was flat.

I raised a brow as I took it from her but opened it eagerly. As I pulled back the wrapping paper, I gasped softly when I saw the vinyl record in a cardboard sleeve, the words 'Our Prison World' on the front.

"Mickie," I breathed. "Is this?..."

She nodded, giggling. "It's a playlist - mixtape, whatever you want to call it - of all the songs that remind me of our time together in the Prison World. The songs we listened to every day. I know they're your favourite."

Placing it carefully on the floor, I pulled her in to my arms before I even realised what I was doing. "Thank you," I whispered in her ear. "I normally don't like sentimental things, but this means so much to me." I gulped. "To us."

Mikaela pressed a kiss to my cheek. "You're more than welcome. I'm glad you like it."

Pulling back, I caressed her face. "I love it."

She tried to hide the grin playing on her lips but failed miserably. "Good," she replied softly.

We stared at each other for a moment before I blinked, worried what words may roll off my tongue if I looked any longer. "Your turn," I said, beaming a smile at her.