RMD XXXI

Celestine Abcde/

"It's nice to finally see you," mahinang bati sakin ni Sir Royce kahit bahagyang nagulat sa presensya ko dito sa pinakaibaba ng Perseus. "I'll just inform Bryton." Dagdag nito na walang gana kong tinanguan.

Hindi inabot ng ilang minuto si Sir Royce at agad din ako pinagbuksan ng pintuan, senyas para pumasok ako. Kasabay 'nun ay ang paglabas naman ni Sir Royce. Nadatnan kong naka-dekwatro si Bryton sa sofa nito na bahagyang yumuko at inilapag ang tobacco niya sa ashtray.

"You're just in time," sabi nito na may nakakalokong ngiting nananalaytay sa mga labi nito. "Have a seat," may awtoridad nitong utos nito na bahagyang sumulyap sa sofa sa tapat nito.

Umupo ako at lumakad ang mata ko kung saan ito nakatingin: live interview ito ni Razael real time via video call We spent the first few minutes silent, just following the trail of words Razael spewing about his company's latest accomplishment, one of which is the rise condo-hotel with the Costa's.

"Now we're on the topic, is it true that the future of both Costa's and Alferez's, which is Francesca and Rembrandt the one handling this?"

"Ah yes, as a matter of fact the two kids are very hands," sagot ni Razael sa nag-iinterview dito. So, hands on.

"Are we going to hear wedding bells soon?", tanong nung reporter sakanya na may nakakalokong ngiti.

Razael chuckled as he composed himself more casually. "Well, we aren't old fashioned already, are we? That'll be up to my son, but what I can say is that they are enjoying themselves working with each other."

Pumasok ang sagot nito sa isa kong tenga at lumabas sa kabila. I know an arranged marriage is never far-fetched, especially with a father like him, and that mere fact stings, but it is not enough to weaken my knees yet- not when I have bigger matters to deal with.

"That's pleasant to know. How is your son by the way? We haven't heard of him lately."

"Well, he's doing good, finishing his additional studies while lending a hand to our company. Unlike his father, that kid is a shy one- alam niyo naman ako; I am an open book and there's nothing I could hide." Razael answered in confidence.

He was true to his words: for someone so highly private and guarded, he sure loves some limelight every now and then. However, it's nothing but tactics to me... because who would question an open book after all.

"Of course, you know we always love to have you here with us," natutuwang sabi nang reporter. "As much as we would like to keep you with us, we do know that you are a very busy man, so onto your agenda of inviting people to the 12th year anniversary charity of an unfortunate tragedy."

Nawala ang mga ngiti ni Razael, at sa isang iglap ay lumungkot ang ekspresyon nito. "It is an unfortunate event, and has it been 12 years already? Honestly, what happened to us is still unfathomable."

I do not like where this is going.

"And even time has passed, even when justice has never been met, we still strive to leave another day: for our sons and daughters, and as a father myself, a survivor, my heart will forever go to the fathers who never saw their kids grow up."