21

The return to New York didn't feel like much had changed. Emma got out of a black vehicle that Happy was driving. He pulled over to the side, and also climbed out of the driver side.

"You sure you don't want me in there?" Happy asks, "Just in case."

Emma glanced back at her driver.

She gives him a gentle smile, "I can take care of myself." She says, "But I appreciate it."

Happy nods, "I'll just wait around the corner." Happy says, "You know- If you need me."

Emma kept the smile on her face, "Okay, Happy."

Emma begins to walk away from the vehicle, but Happy wasn't done.

"Text me when you're done. I'll drive you home." He says.

Emma turned her head to look back at him.

"Okay. Helicopter much?" She jokes.

Happy raises his eyebrows.

Emma lightly chuckles, "I will, Happy. Don't worry." She says.

Emma watches as the driver gets back into his car. She watched him do exactly what he told her. She shakes her head with a small smile before turning to the meeting site.

She noticed some people taking notice of her. People noting how she's Emma Stark. Emma knew that her identity was known. She put on a red baseball cap, like it would do anything, and walked towards the Starbucks.

She opened the door and heard the bell of the business ring, indicating a new costumer. Emma scanned the coffee shop for someone, and then her gaze met him.

Peter Parker.

He was sitting in the back. His back towards her and his head down. He seemed jumpy, nervous maybe. And in a matter of seconds, he lifts his head and meets her gaze.

Emma awkwardly waves.

.

..

...

"So how long have you been back?" Peter asks.

They both have since ordered drinks and began a conversation back at their table after they got their orders.

"A few hours, actually." Emma says, "I stopped by Ohio to pay respect to Nat."

Peter nods.

"Sometimes it feels like a waste to have a grave without a body." Emma sighs as she holds her drink, "But- But it felt nice to have a spot for her. To honor her."

Peter looks at her, "I get it."

"I know you do," She says.

Peter nods his head a few times.

"So, Europe?" Emma asks.

Peter scoffs, "It's not a big deal. Just a school trip." He says rubbing the back of his neck.

Emma gives him a grin, "I don't know, Pete. Europe is quite beautiful. I think you'd love it." She says.

Peter looks at her, "Then come with."

She shakes her head, "Peter, I'm not a student at Midtown. I- I graduated-,"

"I know-," He ran his hands through his hair, "I know."

Emma slowly reaches her hand out and takes hold of his hand. She watched as his head lifts and looks at her.

"It's okay," She says, "It's okay."