01

Emma didn't know how she ended up here, but here she was.

Months later, she had since been working as a consultant for a variety of universities in their science programs to help elevate the next generation. She even did a few lectures at merely seventeen years old, well technically twenty-two.

But that wasn't what Emma was thinking.

Somehow she was made to go to this conference. It was being held in DC at the Smithsonian National Air and Space museum.

"Emma," A familiar voice says.

Emma turns.

Rhodey was there with a big smile.

"Hi," She says smiling.

Rhodey embraced Emma in a hug.

The man was wearing his United States Air Force dress blues, he looked so formal and official. It was unusual for him in her opinion. Emma, meanwhile, wore a nice black dress with black flats.

"How are you, kiddo." Rhodey says pulling her out of the hug, "I haven't heard from you in a while."

Emma kept the smile, "Keeping busy you know." She says, "I've been to MIT a couple times this week giving lectures on genetic coding and proteins synthesis."

Rhodey had a small smile, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Emma lightly pats his arm, "I know." She says.

Emma then looks up at the stage. There was a podium for whoever was doing their speech, and Emma was pretty sure who it was. After all, he was the reason she came to this thing. Behind the podium was a large banner of Steve Rogers, Captain America.

Rhodey noticed Emma staring, "How's Pepper and Morgan?"

Emma slowly glances over, "Morgan is loving preschool." She says, "She's told me about a friend she made named Paul."

Rhodey nods.

"Pepper is- well she's Pepper after all. She's hanging there." Emma says.

Emma knew what was going to come out of Rhodey's mouth next. It had been the very thing many people had said to her since Tony's death.

"If you ever need anything, fill free to call me." Rhodey offers.

Emma looks at him with a small smile, "I will."

Soon, people were gathering by the podium. News cameras were turning on and cameras were beginning to snap for their news station.

Walking on the stage was none other than Sam Wilson. Sam looks into the sea of people and smile a little bit.

"Thank you for coming," He starts, "Steve represented the best in all of us. Courageous, righteous, hopeful."

Sam turns to look at the image of Steve that hung behind him.

"And he mastered posing stoically." Sam says.

Some chuckles could be heard in the room. Sam waited for the laughter to die down before continuing.

"The world has been forever changed." Sam says, "A few months ago, billions of people reappeared after five years away, sending the world into turmoil. We need new heroes."

Emma kept her eyes on Sam.

Rhodes eyes held onto Sam's words.

"Ones suited for the times we're in. Symbols are nothing without the women and men that give them meaning. And this thing," Sam goes and grabs the shield, "I don't know if there's ever been a greater symbol. But it's more about the man who propped it up, and he's gone."