18

Emma woke up the following morning laying in her old bed in her old bedroom. She rolled over and saw the photograph again. She stared at that family photo with the fond memories coming back to her.

Remembering Tony is gone still hurts. It pains her deeply. He was so much than just an adopted father. He was her rock when Emma couldn't sleep after the events on Titan. He kept her mind on school and was so invested in keeping her safe.

Emma rolled over and laid on her back.

She stares at the ceiling.

Twenty-four hours ago she was across the globe chasing after a lead on Karli. She was running with the Falcon and the former Winter Soldier. She was with a criminal. She had been in the presence of the new Captain America and his friend.

Emma frowns.

She sits up in her bed. The covers fall down naturally as she sits on her comfy bed. She slowly looked at her hands. A small spark escaped her finger tips before vanishing.

Emma glanced to her closet and noticed some old things she didn't take with her to New York, which in that closet was mostly clothes.

Emma, though, noticed something specific.

She kicked her feet out from under the covers and pushes her weight off the bed. Her bare feet touch the cool floor as she moves towards the closet. She pushes it open further to look inside.

She finds old shirts that no longer fit her like they used to months ago.

Months ago.

Emma shakes her head and continues looking. And then as she past a few clothes that were poorly tossed in the closet and Pepper didn't bother picking them up, she noticed it.

Tony's hoodie.

It was a simple black one, but she recognized a small bleach stain on it from a cleaning incident two years ago. Emma knelt down on the floor and grabbed the piece of clothing.

She held the soft and warm hoodie in her hands. She pulls it up to her face, and to her in this moment it seemed as if it still smelled like Tony. But what did Tony Stark smell like? Motor oil and whiskey? Emma wasn't sure.

She hugged the hoodie in her embrace.

She held it and cried.

Cried for Tony.

Cried for Natasha.

Cried for Bucky.

Cried for Sam.

Cried for Lemar.

.

..

...

Emma came downstairs to find Morgan, sitting on the couch with headphones in her ears working on educational aps on a tablet, and Pepper, who was washing dishes in the kitchen.

Pepper looks at Emma.

Emma was dressed for the day. She was wearing a purple t-shirt, black skinny jeans, and wearing white socks. Emma had her hair in a low ponytail and wasn't really wearing makeup.

Pepper also looked the part as a mom. She wasn't dolled up, but it didn't mean she was dressed awfully.

Pepper smiles, "Morning, Emma." She says.

Emma gives Pepper a small smile "Good morning, Pepper." She says as she enters the kitchen.

Pepper dries her hands off and watches Emma go towards the fridge. The teen opens up the fridge and pulls out a water bottle. She closes the door and turns to look at Pepper.