🕊 F O R T Y 🕊

🕊Chapter Forty: Morning Walk 🕊

🕊🕊🕊

It was two in the morning, and I walked over to Alaina's room, opening the door as I peeked inside. Her surgery was in a couple of hours, and I was hoping she could get ready early so we could chat and hang out for a bit.

I walked inside, closing the door behind me. The room was dark, nearly no light shined through the windows and I saw a lump in her bed where she was asleep. I walked over to her bunk, seeing her sleeping. I reached my hand out, giving her a gentle shake. "Hey. Wake up."

She groaned, weakly swatting my hand off her shoulder. 

I tried again, a small smile on my face as I found her tired state rather cute. "Alaina. Wake up."

She groaned again, "What, Rin...?"

"Get up. You have to wake up."

She shook her head against her pillow, rolling over so her back was facing me, "I don't want to."

I reached my arms down and picked her up, pulling her out of bed, each of my arms under her armpits. It looked like I was pulling her out of a pool or something. Or holding her back from a fight- if she ever did fight... Now that I think about it, she would do this all the time to me when I would get into fights...

She groaned again, her lips in a tired squiggle. 

"Rise and shine, Sleeping Beauty. You have to get ready before your surgery."

She let out a yawn, her eyes still closed groggily. "You're evil, Okumura... True evil."

"Yeah, yeah. You have to get up. Let's go on a walk so you don't feel so dead." I said, dragging her the rest of the way out of bed, her feet hitting the floor.

"Can't I sleep until we have to go...? It's not like I'll be conscious for it. Besides, I can't eat or drink anything."

"I want to talk to my girlfriend before she goes in for surgery, is that too much to ask for?"

She yawned again. "Then carry me on your back. I'm tired."

I smiled and rolled my eyes, shaking my head at her. She stood up on her own and slid on her slippers, I crouched down slightly so she could grab onto my shoulders easier. I grabbed the back of her knees, lifting her up as her head rested on my shoulder, her arms draped over my shoulders. 

I walked outside of her room, my slippers hitting the wooden floorboards. I walked down the halls with Alaina on my back, turning to walk down the stairs of the empty dorm building. It was just us three living here. So quiet and desolated. It felt like a constant reminder that I was a demon. Sealed away from the real world. Both me and Alaina. 

I turned my head, smiling at her as her eyes remained closed, most likely drifting back off to sleep. Things were a bit different now. Demons of all species were after me. Demons that wanted to hurt my friends to just to get to me. I frowned, looking forward as I turned to walk down the second set of stairs. It sucked having to keep such a profound secret from everyone, but I was a demon born from a human. If they knew-... I don't know what would happen or how they would react. This is why it's crucial for me to keep this a secret from everyone else. 

Alaina... It's still hard for me to fathom she's just like me. A demon. I... I've been getting into fights ever since I was little... But she... she... Dammit. She doesn't deserve any of this. The scar on her lip is a constant reminder that I'm always dragging her into trouble. Reiji... He mentioned that he would be attending True Cross before this whole 'demon' thing started. I haven't seen him yet. Maybe after what happened, he decided not to even though he didn't remember anything.