🕊 T W E N T Y - F O U R 🕊

🕊Chapter Twenty-Four: Proposition🕊

🕊🕊🕊

I looked over, seeing Alaina staring at him with furrowed brows, "With me? What for?" She questioned.

His lips twitched into a smug-looking smirk, "Both you and Rin's powers are connected to the Kurikara sword. Which is quite an inconvenience when you two are separated and it needed to be used. Any miscalculation could expose either one of you."

"I know... I've been trying to avoid that..." She trailed. It wasn't hard to figure out she was thinking of the incident the other night while Yukio and I were taking care of that flower demon in Shiemi's garden.

He smiled smugly, tipping the front of his hat down, "Good girl. But, I have a proposition to make. I know a guy who specializes in demon-slaying swords. To save the complicated details, he would be able to forge one strong enough to keep your powers sealed inside just like the Kurikara sword."

Alaina's brows furrowed worriedly. "I get the feeling that's not all you came to say."

"No, no, it is. But there is more." He chuckled, tilting his head up as he looked at her from under his top hat. "The procedure will be very dangerous. Releasing your demonic powers from the Koma sword will not only send your powers- now free from being sealed away for eleven years- to go into a frenzy, dangering anyone within distance to your little demonic soul. But it could also be fatal. When your powers were first sealed away, you were young. Your powers were still developing. They were easy to seal away. However, now that you are older and more mature, your powers are stronger and would prove difficult to reseal. The longer your powers are out unsealed, the worse the toll on your body."

My eyes widened, darting between Miphesto and Alaina. "What? No way! She can't do that! We'll find some way to make it work-!"

Alaina's hefty sigh made me cut myself off. "Fine."

Mephisto's smirk-ish-grin widened. "Fabulous!"

"What? Alaina!"

"I realize I have only stated the cons of this procedure and neglected to mention the pros. Silly me!" He chuckled to himself, a hand on his chest, "To get obvious out of the way, Rin would be able to draw his sword without your powers being exposed, which would eliminate the worry of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Another obvious one would be that you wouldn't need to rely on Rin to save the day or alternate fighting. That's just inconvenient and wastes time. It'll get one of you, or both of you killed sooner rather than later."

Alaina looked down in thought, a hard stare on her face as she thought deeply about what to think on this newly found proposition. Time seemed to go on forever while we waiting on Alaina's response. Eventually, Alaina looked up, her eyes narrowed. "I'll do it."

My eyes widened and I took a step forward. "What?! Alaina, you can't!"

"Splendid!" Mephisto hopped off the table, throwing his arm in the air in his typical celebratory fashion. "I'll contact Akuma right away then!"

"Akuma? Who's Akuma?"

"The man who will be forging your little lady friend's sword." Mephisto looked over at me, staring into his eyes with a small smirk. "He's very skilled in what he does. I trust him to make a sword capable of holding her demonic little heart."

I looked over at Alaina, my eyebrows furrowed with worry. "Alaina, please tell me you're not serious."

She looked over at me, the same worried expression on her face. "What other choice do I have, Rin? I can't... I can't keep relying on you all the time." Something panged in my chest hearing these words. She walked over, grabbing the sides of my lower arms as she looked up at me, "Think about it, Rin. You won't have to do all the work. I'll finally be able to do something! You don't have to worry about me being separated from you. You won't have to protect me anymore!"