🕊 T H I R T Y - N I N E 🕊

🕊Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Sword 🕊

🕊🕊🕊

I stared worriedly at Alaina as we walked to Mephisto's office. Yukio notified Akuma that she'd check it out, so he told us to go to Mephisto's office.

She looked glum, obviously nervous and stressed about the entire thing. I mean... she was told there was a possibility she could die during it. I'd be nervous too... Hell, I'm nervous for her.

It felt like hours before we made it to Mephisto's office, Yukio knocking on it. Someone opened the door. It wasn't Mephisto. It was an exorcist. She moved out of the way, opening the door for us to enter when she saw it was us.

"Ah, Miss Ejiri! So glad you could make it!" Mephisto greeted, opening his arms as his jolly attitude did a piss-poor job at cheering her up. God, I wanted to punch him sometimes.

"Yeah... I'm here."

He clapped his hands together, that same cheeky smile on his face, "Now then! Let's see your sword, shall we?"

Our attention was turned to the corner, where another boy stood. He had two-toned hair, the left being an onyx black, and the right being an ashy white. His back was turned, but he seemed to have red burn-like scars on the left side of his neck near his shoulders. He turned around, showing us more of the burn-like scars on his face. 

Around his left eye resided a burn scar. It was red and raw-looking. His eyes matched his hair, both of them being onyx black. He walked over with a white katana in his possession. It was pure white, the sheath was as bright as freshly fallen snow, and the wrapping around the hilt matched mine to a T.

He stopped in front of Alaina, stopping in front of her. "You needn't worry if it will be able to hold your powers. I've made my fair share of swords and they all lasted... well... I don't know, actually. None of them have broken yet."

Alaina looked down at the sword in his hands, slowly taking the sword and holding the sheathed blade in her palms. She only stood there, staring down at it in emotionless awe.

"Woah, look at that! It's so bright and polished! I can see my reflection in the sheath!" I gushed, staring at the sword that would now protect Alaina from over her shoulder.

"This will be your demon sword. It will hold the same premise as the Kurikara. When sheathed, your powers are sealed away, but when drawn, your powers will be unleashed. Got it? Good." He said, not even giving her a chance to confirm if she understood.

Alaina nodded a bit. "... So, when I get this procedure done... I'll be able to help more people, right? I won't sit around doing nothing?"

He shrugged, his eyes closing for a brief moment before they opened and stared into Alaina's eyes. "That's for you to decide. Though you have a sword now, you are more useful compared to before. However, depending on your nerve, it's up to you if you want to be useful. But, generally speaking- Yes, you'd be able to help people." Akuma said.

Alaina smiled faintly, looking back to the sword with a breath of relief. "That's great to hear."

"Your surgery is scheduled for 4:00 am. Do not eat, drink or do any extreme activities within six hours before the procedure- So, don't do anything after 10:00 pm. Or to make it even easier, just go to sleep before that time. Given that the time now is six in the afternoon, you have four hours to eat, drink and run around as much as you want."

Yukio nodded. "I trust her enough to follow those instructions, but to be safe, I'll keep an eye on her."

He nodded firmly. "Good. She'll need the support. This isn't an easy surgery.- Oh, one more thing," He turned to Alaina again, gesturing for her to follow him- which she did. "Like Rin, you get a fabric cover and a buckle to carry your sword around with you. You don't get to pick the buckle, but you do get to pick the fabric. So; Pick away."