🕊 T H I R T Y - E I G H T 🕊

🕊 Chapter Thirty-Eight: ... 🕊

🕊🕊🕊

Eventually, we were all dismissed from the hospital wing and we were allowed to go back to our dorms.

Yukio had to stay behind and do teacher things, so Rin and I had to walk home alone. It was... awkward... to say the least...

I was debating harshly with myself for a long while before I let out a sigh, eventually giving in,

"So..." 

My cheeks flushed out of embarrassment and I looked up at him, seeing him looking at me as well. His cheeks were flushed too when he realized we spoke at the same time. We looked away nervously, Rin rubbing the back of his head while I held my hands close in front of me, fiddling anxiously with my fingers.

After another deafening amount of silence, Rin spoke, "Alaina... I... uh... I've been meaning to tell you this... for a while..."

I nervously looked up at Rin, seeing his blush grow larger by the second as he began to stutter over his words, 

"T-The thing is... uh... W-Well... I kind of-... N-Not kind of!- I mean..." He looked down, nervously avoiding my gaze. Rin took a shaky breath, the blush on his cheeks remaining as strong as ever. He exhaled, attempting to take calming breaths. "I like you, Alaina... I have for a while now... I just didn't know how to tell you..."

My eyes widened a bit and I averted my gaze to my feet with blushed cheeks. We were hushed in silence for a while before I realized I didn't respond to his confession.

I opened my mouth to speak as I glanced over, but stopped when I saw him looking flustered, embarrassed, and angry with himself. I closed my mouth and reached my hand out, grabbing his hand that hung by his side. I felt him tense up and look down at me with blushed cheeks. "Wh-What're you-?"

I kept my gaze to the ground, looking nervous. "... You're a lot braver than I am, Rin... I don't think I could've ever gathered the guts to confess to you."

His eyes widened a bit when he realized, "Wait... So-... So you-..."

I nodded meekly, my cheeks flushed as my grip around his hand tightened slightly. 

I felt his grip tighten around my hand slightly in return, his fingers locking with mine, making my heart flutter. I glanced up at him, seeing him smiling bashfully at me. "I suppose one good thing came out of today." He said.

I smiled, chuckling slightly as I looked back down. "Yeah, you could say that," I said, my heart racing in my chest. "... So... How long have you liked me?" I wondered after silence fell before us for a few moments. I looked up to him, awaiting his answer.

His cheeks flushed a bit and he rose his other hand to rub the back of his neck as he looked away with a nervous laugh. "Well, I wouldn't say I started liking you around this time, since I'm pretty sure I've had a crush on you since we were little. But I realized it after you passed out in class. Yukio was the one who pointed it out after he saw how worried I was about you. That Smart-Ass."

I chuckled softly, staring at him. "I think it was the same for me. But instead of Yukio telling me, it was Shima and Suguro."

He looked down at me, his hand moving a few inches from his head, "Seriously?"

I nodded, smiling humorously as we continued walking back to our dorm hand-in-hand. "Yep. They were asking me about when we had lunch together. We were making fun of Yukio that one day during lunch and I guess they saw the both of us laughing because Shima assumed it was a lunch date." I said, laughing a bit as I recalled the memory. "But anyway. They asked what my favorite thing about you was, and Shima oh-so-expertly concluded that I liked you."