🕊 T H I R T Y - O N E 🕊

🕊Chapter Thirty-One: Rent Free In My Mind 🕊

🕊🕊🕊

"Rin! Wait up!" Alaina whined from behind me, running to catch up as we made our way to lunch. "You walk too fast!" She whined.

I turned my head to look back at her, and I suddenly remembered what Yukio said a few days ago.

"Oh, and be nice to her. I know you and her like to joke around by making fun of each other, but you know... focus on having fun while still being respectful."

Taking my previous experience of interacting with her, yet also keeping in mind Yukio's advice, I smiled at her, thankfully not feeling any sort of heat on my cheeks. "Or you just walk too slow," I said before I stopped, waiting for her to catch up. 

Alaina pouted, puffing out her cheek as she now walked beside me, her arms crossed to her chest, "Don't be mean,"

I looked off to the side, biting the inside of my cheek worriedly as we began to walk again, 'Was that too much? I usually joked around with her like that, but she called me mean. Maybe Yukio was right. Should I be nicer?' I thought.

I smiled, rubbing the back of my head shamefully, "Sorry. I guess I should be nicer."

Her pout turned into a small smile. "Just a bit. And stop being mean to Shiemi. All she wants is a friend."

I looked away, a small frown on my face. I did feel bad about it- Alaina made sure I did. But I didn't really want to be scolded by the person I had a crush on. "Yeah, I know. I was just-"

"Embarrassed?"

"What?!" She laughed at my expression, making me scowl. "I thought you said try to be nicer! That should apply to you too!"

"I never said you should be nicer! You said it yourself, and I was just agreeing!" I let out a frustrated groan making Alaina laugh. "I'm just messing with you, Rin. You know I am." She said, placing a hand on my shoulder as she stood on her tippy-toes, placing her lips against my cheek. 

My face flushed instantly, and I instinctively, yet regretfully stepped away due to the surprise. She stood flat on her feet, looking over at me with a small frown. "Sorry. I didn't know you didn't want me to do that anymore... I should've known, really. You've been so flushed when I've done that lately."

"I-It's no problem..." I said, turning my head to the side, staring down at the ground with flushed cheeks. We stood in the same clearing where we usually ate our lunch.

"I won't do it anymore if-"

"No!"

"No?" She repeated, surprised at my outburst.

She was surprised, and I was mortified. "I-I mean, n-no, you don't have to stop. I was just surprised, you know. I didn't expect you to do it."

She stared at me for a bit, her bright blue eyes locking onto mine. I tried desperately to turn away, but my eyes were enchanted by hers. My face flushed immediately when she smiled, letting out a small chuckle. "Boys." She said humorously to herself, shaking her head as she walked over to the tree we regularly sat under, lunches in her hand.

I was too relieved that the eye contact had been broken to make a comment back. I placed a hand on my chest, taking several deep breaths before I regained most of my composure, walking over to take my seat next to her.