🕊 T H I R T E E N 🕊

🕊Chapter Thirteen: The Attack 🕊

🕊🕊🕊

I panted, my breath being quick and sharp as we ran across a metal catwalk above the Southern Cross Shopping Mall. Shiro chanted a spell and swiped his fingers, the demons in front of our way dispersed. We ran past, Shiro beginning to chant another spell,

"The road is unmarked for those without faith. The hand of God will fling them from Jacob's ladder!"

He swiped his fingers, the demon dispersing, but immediately after, three more showed up. In the nick of time, Shiro turned and jumped onto the domed roof of the shopping mall, running across the top. I quickly jumped over the railing and followed after him. He was nearing a large gap that dropped down to the concrete below. 

"Come on!"

My eyes widened as I continued running, "S-Seriously?!"

He jumped over, I followed without hesitation, narrowly losing my balance and falling to the ground below. My heart leaped out of my chest, swinging my arms to try and get balance. But it remained futile. 

The old man grabbed my hand, pulling me forward. I landed on my hands and knees panting for breath. I looked up in a hurry, hearing growling and barking. "Stray dogs...? Ugh, they stink!" I covered my nose, the putrid smell burning my nostrils.

"They're ghouls. Demons who possess the long dead."

"Ghouls?" I looked up at him in question, arm blocking the scent from entering my nose.

"Lucky for you. If this weren't Japan, we'd be beset by ghouls in human form."

"Wha-! There's nothing lucky about this!" 

Shiro reached to his belt, pulling out a grenade looking object. "You're gonna use a bomb?!"

"Not to worry!" Shiro threw the bomb in the center of the herd of ghouls, grabbing my hand and running forward as soon as it exploded, leaving behind ghouls laying on their sides. "It's just holy water."

We ran inside the rooftop door, Shiro closing and locking it. He let an exhausted breath and pushed his back against the door. "It's not exactly a walk in the park to babysit at my age, you know,"

"Who're you calling a baby?!"

"Now," He began walking down the stairs in a hurry, "let's get home while we can."

"Are you saying it's not over?"

Shiro stopped, turning around with a serious look in his eyes. "I already told you. Demons of all species will be coming after you. The sun will be down soon. That's when the demons really become active..."

🕊🕊🕊

"Rin!"

I looked over, seeing Alaina rush over. 

"Rin! Oh my god, I was worried sick!" She stopped in front of me, checking me over for injuries. "Are you hurt? What happened?!"

I looked away from her. I couldn't meet her eyes. Not now.

"Rin... what's the matter?"

Shiro's voice interrupted us, speaking, "Come with me! Both of you!" 

We looked over at Shiro and saw him walking down a secret room on the floor. We shared a look and rushed to follow after him. We ran down the stairs, spotting him holding a burning candle, holding up a key. He inserted it into the tall red box, twisting it unlocked.