🕊 S E V E N 🕊

🕊 Chapter Seven: Summer 🕊

🕊🕊🕊

"Are you alright?"

Alaina and I sat down in my room, relaxing after the long day.

She nodded. "Yes, I'm fine. Who were those guys anyway?"

I sighed. I knew she was going to ask this. "His name is Reiji. I don't know his friend's names. Stay away from them."

She nodded silently, looking up at the top bunk. "It's weird. Every year on this day, I can tell we've grown even closer than the year prior. I mean, I feel like Yukio and I have gotten closer too, but it's just weird."

"Is that a bad thing?"

She lifted her head and smiled, "Not at all. I'm happy to be so close to you, Rin. You're my best friend."

My cheeks heated and I looked away with a slight scowl on my face, "Yeah, yeah..." She smiled and laid her head back down on my pillow. "Are  you hungry?"

"A little."

"Want me to make you something to eat?"

"Hmm..." She smiled. "A cheese toasty sounds good right now, actually."

"Sure thing, ma'am," I jokingly said and stood up to go make it, but she stopped me, 

"You don't have to make it right now." I sat back down, her putting her legs on my lap. "I'm tired."

"Then shouldn't you eat before you go to bed?"

"Maybe."

I shook my head and stood up, moving her legs off of me. "I'll go make it. Don't fall asleep before eating."

"Okay, mom."

I went downstairs and turned on the stove, placing a pan on the heat. The cheese toasty, or grilled cheese- however you wanna call it- were some of Alaina's favorites snacks. Even though she always buys a cup of ice from a gas station's soda fountain. I made it and cleaned up, bringing the food back upstairs.

She lay on the bed, eyes closed. I shook her shoulder and her eyes opened. "Here. Just how you like it."

She smiled and took the plate, sitting up. "Thank you." She said and took a bite of the toasted cheese sandwich. "Mmmm! Rin, you somehow make the simplest things taste even better."

I rubbed the back of my head, a nervous red tint to my cheeks. "Thanks. I just figured, since you were being so nice to me today, I'd return the favor."

She smiled and wiped her hands, reached over to squeeze my cheeks. "Silly, Rin! I was being nice because today was the day that Shiro officially became my legal guardian. And that same day was when both of us cried on the way home because we were so happy." She laughed at the memory, recalling the time when we were driving home from the courtroom, Alaina and I crying and hugging each other in the backseat because we were ecstatic to finally call each other family.

Maybe not blood family, but still family.

I chuckled, matching her smile. "Yeah, I remember. That was a long time ago. You were so adorable back then." She released her grip on my cheeks, pouting. 

"That's not nice."

I shrugged. 

She took another bite, "That's a shame. I was going to say you were still adorable but now not so much."