39 - In another life

Antonio.

I stood by the window, glancing outside as I watched some of my crew members training outside. I brought my glass of whiskey up to my lips and took a sip as I heard the doors to my office open. Right, Dominic.

I didn't bother to turn around so I just stood there, twirling my glass a bit as I watched the alcohol mix in my cup.

''You said you wanted to see me, Don'' he started. I could already feel the nerves radiating off of him. Still hasn't changed a tiny bit ever since he was 18.

I cleared my throat, turning around as I saw him standing a couple metres away from my desk. He had his hands in his pockets while he tried to appear as confident as possible.

I placed my glass down and fixed my collar a bit as I then sighed.

''You have a lot of talking to do''

He nodded and swallowed. ''I know and I know it wasn't right of me to just carry Evie into the base, but- Tony, she's mine'' he said, sounding a bit hysteric.

''I could see that, Dominic. But have you thought of all the consequences that come along with this? everyone in the crew is surely able to take care of themselves and I've looked after each and every one of you, but all of a sudden I have a child to protect as well?'' I said, trying not to be too harsh on him. I didn't understand how his child even popped out all of a sudden.

''I know... but I won't put that pressure on you, Tony. I promise, I'll keep her close to me at all times and she won't sneak around the base-'' he tried to reason but I was feeling tense due to everything that has been happening lately.

''Ortega, does this place look like day-care to you?'' I asked, slightly irritated.

He immediately shut up and just glanced down at the glass of whiskey I had put down. I rubbed my face with my hands and sighed again.

''Why didn't you tell me you had a child earlier?'' I asked.

''I never knew about Evie, until now. Christa became pregnant somehow and raised her these last 5 years, I only managed to find out because she tried to rob Atlas''

He didn't even dare to look up into my eyes. I didn't respond and just eyed him down. Christa sure wasn't a good mother. Anyone could see that. Dominic was the girl's only hope. She just got unlucky because he's in this branch.

''I still think you should've discussed this earlier with me. But the girl is allowed to stay'' that made him look up and it almost looked like his eyes were sparkling.

''God, I could fucking kiss you right now, Tony'' he grinned and stormed up to me, pulling me into a tight embrace as he hugged me. I whimpered and tapped his shoulder.

''That's enough, Dominic. I don't want to see her sniffling through the weapons or anything else. You need to keep her under supervisory task at all times'' I said, holding my finger up at him.

He immediately nodded. ''She won't be a burden, I promise'' I nodded at that and returned to my seat behind my desk. He eyed me down,  making me frown at him.

''Something else you need to discuss?'' he grinned and wrapped his arms over one another. ''She's been inside for a while already, so if you wouldn't mind. Why don't you take her outside, grandpa Tony'' he wiggled with his eyebrows and chuckled.

''Don't call me that. And I have better things to do right now'' I responded.

Me? going out with small children? That sounded like a joke.

''Come on, you haven't got to know her that well and I can see you're still second-guessing your decision so; take her out and she'll make sure you won't regret the choice you made''