"Dumbledolt would never sign off, Moony. He's too happy watching me suffer because he can finally control me." Sirius' eyes fall closed again, but he's not relaxed like he was. I reach up to very gently stroke his hair away from his eyes, my heart aching when he jumps just at the feather light touch. 

"You can't be controlled, Padfoot. I thought we had made that clear." Sirius relaxes a tiny bit when I rest my hand on his cheek, his skin pale and unhealthy from lack of sun. We're going to change that, though. 

"When he has the fact that he could turn me in hanging over my head, not so much." 

"Don't be pessimistic. Do you want to come home with me? Yes or no." I stroke my thumb softly over Sirius' cheekbone. 

"Yes." 

"Then get your stuff and let's /go/." I get up and Sirius follows me, a hint of a smile tilting at his lips. 

"I always have loved it when you break the rules." Sirius walks off, assumingly to gather his things.

The next few days are hard. Sirius isn't comfortable with being touched too much, and I have to coax him into eating properly. Finally, after a half an hour of watching Sirius fidget restlessly with his hair or the ring on his middle finger, I sigh. 

"Let me cut it." I blurt out. Sirius turns to look at me, cocking an eyebrow. 

"What?"

"Your hair. Let me cut it, I used to do it all the time I'm sure I won't muck it up too awfully." 

It takes ten minutes of coaxing, but Sirius finally let's me cut his hair. I get him in the bathroom on a chair, holding scissors in my hand and wondering how I'm going to do this. I decide to just go with it, starting at his shoulder blades and cutting off the tips, which have the most mats and tangles. Then I cut it for length, right at his shoulders where he always found it the most comfortable. I find the hair that used to be his bangs and line them up with his jaw, very carefully cutting them in line with his jaw line. 

After cutting his hair sufficiently in length, I grab a stray hairbrush and gently start working out knots. Sirius makes a couple of pained noises when I near the nape of his neck, but other than that he stays very silent. He's watching me in the mirror, though, those calculating eyes watching my hands. 

Once I get the bigger tangles out, I discard the hairbrush in exchange for my fingers, an action that always either made him relax or just fall right asleep. It does help to relax him in this moment. The tense muscles in his shoulders relax and his head falls back a little as he leans into my hands. 

When Sirius' curls are actually curls again and his hair looks like it's hair and not a rug, a tightness in my chest loosens. I wave my hand slightly to clean up the hair on the floor and walk around the chair to hold Sirius' face gently in my hands. Lately, he would pull away quickly and apologize. But right now, still dazed from my fingers in his hair, he leans into my hands and closes his eyes. 

I press a soft, barely there kiss to Sirius' forehead. "Why don't you take a shower, and then we'll have some tea and watch a movie, yeah?" Slow, simple steps. 

Sirius nods a little, and I take that as a yes. 

There are good days. Sirius will brave kissing me on the cheek in the morning, and eat breakfast outside under a tree. He'll come back inside or I'll go outside and we'll talk for hours and hours about everything and nothing, and by the end of the night he's bundled in my lap with a blanket as we watch scary movies.