Poe nods, "She did," Poe says, "But- But I got Rose's sister killed and- and I got Amara's best friend dead."

Kes shakes his head, "You didn't pull the trigger ending their lives, son. You ordered them and they followed you because they believe in you." He says, "You are a leader at heart, despite what you may think."

Poe shakes his head, "No I'm not."

Kes's eyes narrows, "Oh you're not?" He asks, "Then what of that Finn fellow? He saved your life and I feel grateful for that, but that boy will follow you without hesitation."

Poe shakes his head in silence.

It's true, Poe and Finn have this bond that despite how little they've known each other, it feels as if they've been friends for years. Finn saved Poe and Poe gave Finn a name.

"I know Amara would be willing to go the distance with you," Kes says, "Leia told me about the mutiny you coordinated and she stood by you."

Poe felt shame thinking about that. The mutiny was probably the worst idea he had ever thought of during his time in the Resistance. Poe feels his father's grip on his shoulder tighten for a moment, Poe moves his gaze onto his father. The two men stare at each other.

"This guilty trip you're sending yourself on isn't going to change what has happened." Kes says, "War comes and good people die. We have to move forward and learn to adapt to our faults."

Poe kept his eyes on his dad.

Kes grins slightly, "I know you and I were never close, not like you and your mother. But, take it from me son, beating yourself about these deaths isn't going to help the Resistance or help Leia, and certainly will not help Amara." He says.

After that, Kes moved is hand from his son's shoulder and then turned to head back down the trail. However, Kes halted before doing back into the thick jungle.

"As a man who lived through war and seen same sights as you son," Kes says, "My biggest regret wasn't the men and women I lost under my command. My biggest regret was not doing right by you when you needed me the most."

Poe turns to his father. Kes had guilt in his eyes and then he turns away from Poe. The older Dameron walks off, leaving the younger Dameron alone with the tree.

{RISE OF SKYWALKER}

MORNINGS ON Yavin 4 consisted up the remaining Resistance waking up, eating breakfast, and then following their schedule. For the pilots it was cleaning and maintaining their ships. Those who worked in the command room on D'Qar were sending out signals to any allies that they might have in search for a new base and possibly more recruits. And so on and so on. Amara had arrived at her usual breakfast spot and found Rey, Finn, and Rose there. Amara even noticed BB-8 was there.

"No Poe?" Amara asks.

Finn shakes his head, "He went to speak to the General."

Amara frowns, "Did he say why?" She asks.

Finn took a swig of his water and then says, "He mentioned how he wants to take his squadron out and find a planet for our new base."

Amara sat down. She was a little shocked at that notion. Surely, Poe knew that they were in no rush to find a new base. They had only been on Yavin 4 for at least a week, they needed to regroup and rest before jumping back out there.

"Oh," Amara says.

Rey gives her a small smile, "I'm sure he knows what he's doing." She says, "He's probably worried of the potential threat us being here may have on his father's safety."