27

HE DIDN'T go exactly where he told the others he was going to. No. Poe was standing in front of the Force sensitive tree alone that evening. He had shoved his hands into his pants pockets and stared at the tree. The tree he had spent his entire childhood playing. Looking upon the tree just flooded the man with memories of his youth. He remembers when he was six and sitting on his mother's lap in her A-Wing. His first time in the air with her. He remembered the feeling. The joy not only he was experiencing but also from his mom.

Poe clench his jaw.

But only two years later, his mom died. She had left one day promising to be back, but she never did. It crushed him. The letter from Leia giving him and his father her condolences meant nothing to the young boy. All he wanted was his mother, but she wasn't coming back. As he grows older, the image of her fades little by little. Her voice is completely gone from his memory. He doesn't remember her laugh. He doesn't remember what she smelt like.

Poe pulls one hand out of his pocket and to the chain around his neck. Poe wrapped his fingers around the ring. His mother's ring. His frown deepens.

"Damn son," Spoke Kes, "Didn't expect you to hike all the way here. I was hoping you'd stop at some point on the trail."

Poe turns to address his father, "What are you doing here?"

Kes raised his eyebrows, "What are you doing here, son?"

Poe says nothing but turns back to the tree. Poe let's go of his mother's ring and put his hand back in the pocket.

Kes sighs and walks over to his son. Kes was approached by Leia to check on him. Kes was told about the events on the Raddus and on Crait. He knew his boy to be a bit full of himself, something he got from Shara. And when Kes meant by full of himself, he knows how confident Poe is in his piloting ability.

"Son, what are you doing here?" Kes asks again.

Poe looks down, "I'm certain the General told you about what happened." He says in a quiet voice.

Kes nods, "Yes she did." Kes answers, "She gave me a run down on what happened on the Raddus and on Crait."

Poe lowers his gaze to his shoes. Poe looks at his shoes as if they were more interesting than anything around him. Kes shakes his head as he looks at his son and sighs. Kes stepped a little bit closer to his son and rested his hand on Poe's shoulder.

"War is war, son." Kes says, "No man or woman is ever ready for it, even if they've been piloting in it or laying down fire in trenches for years."

Poe kept his head down, "I made a lot of mistakes, dad."

Kes nods, "That you did, Poe, that you did."

Poe stiffened. His dad didn't disagree with him.

"But we all do." Kes says, "I know I had when I was a little younger than you back in the days of the Alliance."

Poe slowly looks over at his father.

Kes had a sad smile, "I ordered men to their deaths more times that I can count," He chuckled bitterly, "I always considered myself to blame and hated myself for being alive when others didn't make it."

Poe frowns and looks back down.

"But, your mother wouldn't allow for me to wallow in my self-loathing." Kes says, "She smacked me upside the head and told me it wasn't my fault."

Poe says nothing.

Kes kept glance on his son, "I'm certain your girl must've told you that as well." He says.