Chapter 324

Matt's POV: After taking a call from Hermann, I walked back over to the living room to look at Diego. "Uhm Diego, can I ask you a question?" Diego then looked up at me. "Always uncle Matt." I then went to wave my phone at him. "Why did I just get a call from the bar saying that you haven't shown up to shift two days in a row!" Turning to look at him, we could all tell that Gabby was not impressed with what I just said. "Uhm Diego, what have you been doing?"

Diego then looked at her. "I have been spending time with my girlfriend. It was Valentine's Day. I requested those days off." I then looked at him. "Well on Valentine's Day eve...it was mandatory for you to be there considering you are not a member of the CFD. All of our firefighter delivery drivers were out because they had fire shifts. I would know because I was there until we got in this drama. They gave me the day off and we went to the hotel. So, try again Diego."

Diego then sighed. "I ditched maybe 1 or 2 shifts." I then shook my head. "Maddy, do you mind if I steal my nephew for a minute? I need to speak to him as his boss." Diego laughed when I said that. "Calm down uncle Matt. It wasn't that big of a deal." I then shook my head and looked at Antonio. "This doesn't count as abuse okay?" I then went to grab Diego's shirt and get him up to bring him to the kitchen with me. Antonio laughed when I did that. "Wow, he's mad."

Gabby then sighed as she looked at her brother. "Hey, Diego knows the rules and not to push it. We gave him a job and he knows the days where he isn't allowed to take days off. So, I don't care if Matt knocks some sense into him. He deserves it." Antonio laughed and nodded when Gabby said that.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen:
As I set Diego down in the kitchen, I looked at him. Diego just went to clean up his shirt. "Okay, ow. That hurt like crazy." I then looked at him. "Diego Dawson! I am talking to you as both your uncle and boss right now...is that understood?" Diego then got scared and nodded. "When we book you on a shift, there are reasons behind it. You know this because we told you this. All of our other delivery drivers are firefighters." Diego then bit his lip and nodded.

"So last night, of all nights you could've skipped...there was only maybe 1 driver on one of our busiest days of the year. I don't care if you have a girlfriend. You really think I wanted to work on Valentine's Day when I have kids and a wife?" Diego then gulped when I said that. "No." I then shook my head. "You want money, you have to earn it. Here's something you didn't know. Well, you know a bit of it. You realize that you get a percentage of each order right?"

Diego nodded and agreed. "It's why I like working there so much." I then nodded. "Then why did you skip your shift when it was one of our busiest nights of the year? You could've gotten a lot more money than on a regular night because you were scheduled that day. I specifically made sure to get you that shift because I knew you wanted money. Now, you aren't going to get it. I am trying to be a good uncle and help you. You are in college and have a girlfriend."

Diego nodded and understood. "I'm sorry uncle Matt." I then sighed and just shook my head. "Diego, I am trying my best here okay? I am trying to help you out. Please don't blow this. Remember, you got this job without having to apply or be vetted. You need to make sure that you keep it. However, just be aware that...if Cindy decides to fire you, you can't come crying to me and Gabby to get her to change her mind." I was about to walk away when Diego stopped me. "Uhm, why not? You are my uncle."

I then turned to look at him. "Exactly. And I already got you the job. So, I can't be the one that fires you because I am biased and too busy if we are being honest. I have been to the bar maybe once since we had the kids. So, I am not really even involved in the bar anymore. We just collect the money that we get because we are the owners. That's why we aren't involved in the staffing. If someone decides to fire you, you are to respect their decision and not come trying to us."

Diego nodded and sighed. "And what about Blake Gallo? He walked out on shift once." I then nodded. "He's different. He has a special case. And we all know about it. I am not going to share because it is not my place. It's just hard for him around holidays emotionally. So, we let him be around those times. Don't ask him okay?" Diego sighed and seemed to understand. "Okay uncle Matt." I nodded and agreed as I went to hug him. "How's school going? College?"

Diego shook his head and then smiled as we walked back to the living room.