Chapter 238

20 Minutes Later as Matt comes upstairs to the bedroom:
Matt's POV: As I run upstairs, I start to get worried since Gabby has been taking a long time in the bedroom. She said she would be right down and I knew that she was only this way when her mind started racing. Not knowing what was happening up here was killing me so, I decided to just come up and leave Matteo with Severide. Walking into the bedroom, I saw Gabby sitting on the bed with tears in her eyes and a worried look on her face. "Gabby?" Gabby then turned to look at me. "Shit. We need to leave don't we. I'm so sorry Matt." She was about to get up when I walked over to her and stopped her. "No, stay there and just look at me for a minute." Gabby then sighed as she went to sit down on the bed again.

Sitting down next to her, I went to grab her hand and rubbed it. "Gabby, what's wrong? I came up here to see you with a klenex in your hand and tears in your eyes. I don't care if we are late okay? I can deal with the overnight chief. Talk to me Gabby. Tell me what's wrong." Gabby sighed. "Matteo has what I have. I can just tell. And it's all my fault." I was shocked when she said that. "Hey, look at me okay?" Going to grab her neck, I went to rub her cheek while looking into Gabby's eyes. "None of this is your fault. We don't even know if he has what you have. And if he does Gabby, it's not your fault." Gabby then shook her head. "It's genetic Matt. So, it is my fault." I then understood what she meant and sighed, kissing her.

"Gabby, just take a breath and listen to me. Right now, your mind is racing and your pills haven't taken effect. And I get what you are saying and it's probably true because I am never going to question you on this. However, one thing that I am going to say is that I don't care if we have a special needs kid. Gabby, I promise that we can do this as long as we are doing it together." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. I then decided to sit down next to her before moving to wrap my arm around her. Grabbing her hand, I then went to kiss her head. "Hey, at least I get some cuddle time with you in bed on my birthday." Gabby laughed when I said that. "God, why must my time of the month be right now?"

I nodded and understood what she meant. "Listen Gabby, as much as I would love to talk...we can't stay much longer. It's already 7 and we need to be at the firehouse by 8. I just want to know though. Are you okay? If you aren't...we can figure something out. I am not going to go to work if you are having problems." Gabby shook her head. 'I'm fine. Just me getting in my head." I nodded and agreed with her before going to kiss her forehead softly. "Listen, I already spoke to Matteo again and he's calmed down. He's fine Gabby." Gabby then looked at me. "I want to get him tested for anxiety okay? Sorry, I know that this should be something we decide together and I promised we would but...I have to say we are just doing it."

I thought about what she said and agreed. "Gabby, if this is causing you this much worry and pain...then of course I am going to go along with you and let you get Matteo get tested for what you have. I will do it because I love you and because it will make your life easier." Gabby nodded and agreed as she hugged me. "And about something else. I am not sure whether I want to come back to the firehouse if he has this like me. I really wanted to Matt but..." I just shook my head and leaned down to kiss her softly. "Gabby, you don't have to explain anything to me okay? Here, I am your husband and the father of your children. I love you and want what's best for you. And I need to respect your decision. So, I promise...you can just be a 'stay-at-home' mom from the firehouse if that's what you want." Gabby smiled and agreed.

"Listen, we can talk about this another time. I just freaked out, got emotional and just needed this." I nodded and understood as I went to kiss her forehead softly. "I am here for you okay? In fact, I want you to just sit in our office today and rest. I will move my laptop in there as well as my phone and we can just stay there until there's a fire. A lot has happened overnight and we need to talk. So, that's what we'll do. But right now, we need to get you downstairs so you can either eat or so that you can pick food to bring to the firehouse since we are starting to run out of time. Want to just bring it along with us?" Gabby nodded and agreed. "Yes please."

I then smiled at her. "I already ate. So, I am just going to brush my teeth. Put the rest of the bags on the bed and I will be right back out okay?" Gabby agreed and nodded as I walked away to the washroom to finish getting ready while she grabbed my bags and put them on the bed. That's when I decided to check something while I was in there...whether Gabby took her medicine yet. That might explain all of this drama.