19- Hard To Say

Running. Keep running. Something told you that if you stopped, you would die. So that's what you did. You ran as far and as fast as you could through the endless dark void that you were trapped in. This was an odd feeling. You couldn't move. Or at least you couldn't move your physical body, that you knew was laying covered in bandages somewhere. But here, where ever here is, was like you were stuck in your own mind, but you didn't really have a body. Just a phantom feeling and an instinct that told you to keep going, keep fighting. Quiet voices echoed gently and you stopped, breathing hard.

"Hey dudette. I brought you a new blanket. It's my favourite. It's fuzzy and warm, and I know that you like to be warm." You smiled when you realized that the voice belonged to Mikey. But you couldn't see him.

You turned around, looking everywhere but to no avail. So with your energy mostly spent on running, you just listened to the familiar voice of the energetic younger brother.

Mikey gently took off the thin sheet and placed the blanket over her small form and sighed, looking at Donnie who was working away at his computer.

"Are you sure she can hear me?"

"I'm sure. Comatose patients can usually remember things that they heard when they were unconscious. Sometimes they even hear them so well, when they wake up, they can relay the conversation to others," he said. Mikey stared at him and Donnie sighed, pushing up his glasses and shaking his head.

"In other words, yes. She can hear you," he explained and Mikey nodded, then looked towards Leo who was still passed out on his bed next to her.

"Is Leo okay?" He asked suddenly and Donnie looked at him, surprised.

"Why do you ask?" He said slowly so not to worry him.

"I don't know. He's just so-... sad. It's been two days and he's barely left her room." He muttered sadly.

"I mean-... I don't really blame him. She's his everything." Donnie sighed. "I think it'll take a while for any of us to fully get back to normal." The lab was silent for a while again until Donnie heard Mikey speak.

"I miss her." Donnie went over to where Mikey was standing beside her bed and placed his hand on his shoulder. Mikey glanced up at the genius and gave a sad smile.

"Keep doing what you're doing Mikey. Keep things light, keep talking to her when you visit, and keep Leo from sinking too far into his guilt." Donnie smiled softly before going back to his desk and leaving Mikey to continue with his storytelling to Y/n. Donnie still watched his little brother from his desk though, smiling proudly when Mikey would tell a funny story.

Now if only he could get Leo to do that.

After an hour or so of comfortable silence in the lab after Mikey left; Raph came in. Leo was just stirring from his sleep at that time and Raph had another tray of food for him. He sat up and smiled thankfully. Raph examined his older brother as he sat down across from him.

"So?" He said. Leo raised an eye ridge.

"What?"

"Did you at least sleep this time?"

"Yes," chuckled Leo. Raph gave a small smile before looking over to Y/n.

"Still nothing?"

"It's only been two days." Leo rubbed his eyes. "But then again, that's have been the longest two days of my life." Raph pursed his lips.

"She'll be okay, Leo. She's strong." Leo stayed silent for a while before Raph pushed the tray more towards him. "You still need to eat, Fearless. Don't need you getting sick." Leo nodded and picked at his food before taking a small bite.

"I just-... this is way harder than I thought it would be."

"What? You thought seeing the love of your life get hurt would be easy?" Raph replied sarcastically. Leo sighed.

"No. I knew it would be hard to see her get hurt. I just-..."

"What?"

"I didn't think it would be this hard to deal without her."

Meanwhile, you were listening to everything they were saying. You would smile when Mikey told a funny story. But this time, you felt your eyes well up with tears when you heard Leo and Raph talking.

"I didn't think it would be this hard to deal without her." You heard him say. You wanted so badly just to tell him you were fine, that it wasn't his fault. But you couldn't. You were still stuck in this prison of your own mind.

"You really love her don't you?" You heard Raph reply softly. It was a while  until Leo replied.

"Yeah. I do." And those three words almost made you cry. But you bit your lip to keep the tears in and kept listening to their conversation, staying silent since that was all you could do.

"How long do you think it will be until she wakes up?" Raph asked Donnie. The genius shrugged.

"I'm not sure. She's still healing, and probably will be for a while. Shutting down was her body's way of saving her life," he said. Raph sighed impatiently.

"I guess she'll just wake up when she's ready," suggested Leo from beside her. Donnie lifted one shoulder in agreement.

"Honestly, I'm not sure why she's still unconscious. She's stable and all her tests are okay. You're probably right, she'll wake up when she's ready."

What they didn't know, was that Donnie was right, and that you were listening to them the entire time as you attempted to figure out how to wake yourself up.
___________________________

Yeesh. That was a shorter chapter, I'm sorry. More chapters to come though

XX Shadow