14- Regrets

Leo's POV

Three long hours of work later, she was laying on the table with a cannula in her nose, IV hooked up to her arm, and white bandages covering most of her body. Donnie finally finished treating her and ended up falling asleep almost instantly at his desk. I, on the other hand, was sitting in a chair at her bedside, and had been since Donnie fell asleep. That was around two and a half hours ago.

I stood up and gently stretched my stiff limbs, wincing at the pops and cracks that came from my joints. I looked up when a gentle knock sounded at the door. Raph was standing there, a tray in one hand and a glass in the other.

"Hey," he said, glancing between me and the sleeping Donnie. "Well he sure passed out, huh?"

"Hey. Yeah, he was dead tired after all the work he did," I sighed out. He gave a grim smile before entering, setting the tray down on a table beside Y/n's bed. He glanced at the steaming food and then at me, and I gave a small nod to acknowledge his kind gesture.

"How ya holding up?" He pulled over another spare chair that donnie had in his lab and sat down on the other side of her. I just looked at Y/n's frail form, laying under the thin white hospital sheet.

"I'm-..." I looked up to see him staring at me. "I'm still here," I said. He just nodded and set his head on his hand, watching her breathing. "Thanks-... for the food," I gestured to it as I wandered a few steps away and stretched a little bit. He waved his other hand.

"Don't mention it." Then I realized something.

"Wait-... what are you still doing up?" I glanced at the clock that now read 6am. Usually we were all asleep by now after patrol, and didn't wake until at least 7am for training.

"Couldn't sleep," he said quietly after a while. I just nodded and watched his sad eyes stare down at Y/n, seeing the tired purple bags under his eyes.

"What about Mikey?"

"I don't know. He locked his room door after she-... ya know-... died." He sighed and rubbed his eyes. "How the fuck did this happen?"

"Language," I said absentmindedly. He rolled his eyes. "And I don't know. Why would she just-... leave like that. She could've told us. We would've helped her," I felt my emotional walls begin to crack. But I couldn't let them fall.

"Don't blame yourself, fearless. Like she said in the letter, she made her choice. She didn't want us to get hurt," he sighed.

The letter. The second letter.

I glanced at him.

"Do you by any chance remember the last part of that letter?" He frowned a little back at me.

"Sorta. Something about a separate letter. For you," then his eyes lit up in realization. "Have you found it yet?"

"I was so distracted, I didn't even look," I admitted. He waved his hand towards the door.

"Go. Find it, get some rest. I'll stay with her. Take the second shift." I looked at him.

"Are you sure? You should get some rest too. You look horrible."

"Thanks," he said dryly. "Don't worry about me. You've stayed up with her for the whole night. I'm sure I can watch her for a while so you can go nap and eat-... and look for that letter," he said. I nodded, still not moving towards the door. I hesitantly touched her one hand and smiled.

"Okay. I'll be back." And I turned to leave the room, leaving the tray of steaming food behind with Raph. But his voice cut through the air before I could leave.

"Leonardo," he said and I turned, seeing his eyes pierce through the dim light. He only used my full name either sarcastically or when something was wrong. "She'll be okay-... right?" He asked. I have never before seen my immediate younger brother so gentle or scared. I gave him a small smile.

"Yeah. She'll be okay Raph." Then I glanced at her once more before leaving the room, heading towards
Y/n's room.

I slowly opened the door, nervous to go in and find something that I wasn't sure I wanted to find. Her room was the same, simple and full of beautiful smelling flowers. I grabbed her watering can and went back to the kitchen, filling it and watering the flowers that were desperately pleading for water after many days without proper care. I knew she would've wanted them to be taken care of.

As I went along and watered her multitude of plants, I kept my eyes peeled for anything resembling a letter. I couldn't see anything of the sort. Until my eyes scanned across the beautiful cherry blossom mural on her wall. I squinted in the dim light. The blue handprint had a slightly lighter blue center.

I set down the watering can and went over to the wall, rubbing my hand over my own blue handprint. The lighter part lifted up to reveal that it was a light blue rectangular envelope, the colour almost perfectly matching my handprint, but just light enough to be seen. I took in a breath, gently taking the taped up envelope off the wall and bringing it to her bed. I sat down with the letter in my hand.

I was so close. So close to finding out why she left so suddenly. Why she did what she did. But as I stared at the sealed envelope, I wasn't so sure I wanted to find out.
___________________________

Now we're sorta half getting somewhere. Kinda. Eh.

I hope you guys are liking this so far!! Tell me how I'm doing, I love hearing from you guys in the comments.

Also if you haven't already, go check out my TMNT oneshot book. It's a few one or two chapter stories based on prompts and requests from you guys. So if you have something you want me to do, go request it in the comments on that story, or send me a private message!

Or, you know, send me a message anyhow and tell me how your day is going. I'm bored as all shit right now cause of COVID cause my province won't LIGHTEN UP THE RESTRICTIONS. *ahem* sorry about that little rant there.

Anyhow, I hope you guys enjoyed!!

XX Shadow