18- Donnie's Concerns

***IMPORTANT A/N AT THE END. PLEASE READ!!

Donnies POV

When the purple banded turtle woke up, the first thing he noticed was that he was in his own bed and not his lab. He frowned as he sat up, wondering how he got from his lab to his room, but just shrugged it off and stood up. He reached around his bedside table for his glasses and put them on over his brown eyes.

Then the events of the night came rushing back to him.

Y/n dying. Him and Leo working furiously to save her. Mikey disappearing to his room. The escape plan that they made to rescue Y/n from Shredder. He rubbed his hands down his face as he walked slowly towards his door.

Someone must've moved him to his room, because when he went down the hall back to his lab, hearing the voices of his brothers through the open lab door.

"Hey Mikey. How are you holding up?" He heard the voice of his oldest brother first. Then the small and scared voice of his youngest.

"Is she-..."

"She's stable," Donnie entered the room, pushing down his emotions as far as he could.

"Donnie," he heard his temperamental brother greet.

"She's stable for now. Her condition hasn't seemed to have changed, so that's a good thing. It means she isn't getting any worse," Donnie stopped himself from saying the last part of his sentence though, in fear of making his brothers panic. Yet raph still knew something was wrong.

"I feel a but coming," he said quietly, just enough for donnie to hear him as he checked her monitors. Donnie argued with himself inside his head.

"Maybe I shouldn't tell them. It might be better if they don't know." But then his morals kicked in and he knew he couldn't hold secrets from his brothers.

"Well-..."

"There is a but?" Asked Raph. Donnie bit his lip nervously, unsure of how his brothers would react.

"Well-... I don't want to give up hope quite yet-... but there is a chance she may never wake up," he glanced at his brothers horrified reactions. "Lack of oxygen to the brain can cause unfixable damage. Not only that, but she hasn't moved since I pulled the suit out of the wound." He felt the stares of all his brothers as he explained his concerns.

"If she doesn't start to move even a little-... even if it's just a twitch-..." his voice broke off and he knew instantly that he didn't even need to finish his sentence.

He turned away for only a moment to take a breath and compose himself, pushing back the tears that were threatening to fall from his eyes. But in that one second, his little brother had found a way to make things a bit better.

"Hey dudette. It's me. I know you probably can't hear me, but I just want you to know that we're all okay. Thanks to you of course. I hope you wake up soon, we really miss you," be with those kind words, Donnie felt the tears come back to his eyes. Not in sadness or anger; but in proudness and belief in his younger brother.

Donnie went over to where Mikey was and rested a hand on his shoulder.

"She can hear you," he said, managing to keep his voice from breaking. Mikey smiled at him and kneeled beside her bed, continuing to talk to her.

Donnie, being the genius that he is, knew that comatose patients were able to hear things going on, just not able to react physically to those wounds.

The three older brothers watched Mikey for a while until Donnie went to run a few more tests and change Y/n's IV. Raph disappeared and Mikey ended up falling asleep curled up on the floor beside her bed. But Leo did what he always did now. He sat in the chair beside her and watched her sleep. Not in a creepy way, in what Donnie considers a loving way.

As Donnie grabbed a needle to take a blood sample from Y/n, he paused by Leo.

"You should get some sleep you know. You aren't helping me by passing out,"he said lightheartedly. Leo just yawned and shook his head.

"No. I'm staying here."

"I didn't say you had to leave," corrected Donnie as he carefully inserted the needle into her arm. Leo glanced at him.

"Wha-.."

"There's a spare table over there," he nodded to the corner where he kept a spare medical table, just in case more than one of his brothers were injured at one time. "I mean, I'm not gonna lie to you, it's uncomfortable. But it's probably better than the chair, and it also means you can stay in here." He filled a separate vial with a few drops of the blood. "I suggest a blanket though. Take it from me, sleeping in here can get cold at times." Donnie remembered all the nights spent asleep at his desk after working too late.

"... thanks, Donnie," Leo said after a moment. Donnie shrugged as he started his tests.

"Don't mention it. Besides, I need to run these tests and you need some sleep. Desperately."

"You're a fine one to talk Mr. 'I'm too busy and never get to bed before 5am'" Leo smiled as he went to get the other table. Donnie smiled sheepishly back.

"Well that-... that's different. As your family doctor, it's my job to make sure you're not dead."

"As the older brother, it's my job to also make sure you aren't dead." He smirked back playfully as he pulled the extra bed beside Y/n. Donnie rolled his eyes but had a smile on his face.

"Yeah well-... that doesn't count." He sighed as he watched the tests continue. Leo lay down on his medical bed and Donnie watched his sad eyes as they slowly fluttered closed, yet still looking towards Y/n. Obviously exhausted from not sleeping the past night, Leo fell into a deep sleep.

Donnie got up and went to Leo's room, grabbing one of his fuzzy blue blankets from his bed and going back to the lab, covering his older brother with it. He noticed Leo's one hand was on her cot, overtop of her hand. Donnie gave sad smile and went back to his desk, rubbing his eyes under his glasses.

The hope in him said she would be fine.

The doctor in him knew that she might not be, and that these next few weeks would be the biggest challenge any of them ever faced.
___________________________

Yikes. Angst. ANYHOW here's the important note.

I know I posted this on the previous chapter as well, but I've posted the first three chapters in Fierce and it would mean the world to me if you would check it out if you haven't already.

Fierce is Raphael's story and tells how he meets Jasmine, a 17 year old photographer who accidentally takes his picture. They become unlikely allies and even less likely friends, both harbouring feelings for each other. When meeting Raph puts her in danger, he needs to face facts and protect her.

Go check it out!!

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!!

XX Shadow