13.2 Forest

13.2 Forest

Originally Published: July 22, 2021

"It is getting dark now, we should find a place to rest for the night." Willow states.

The forest is especially dangerous at night because of a few different species of nocturnal creatures.

"Why did you bring a child into the forest?" Skye questions. "It is dangerous for the kid to be in this ring of the forest."

Skye explains some more, glancing at Ash, "The fae have come this direction, and you must know what they do with little ones..."

Children tend to be the first prey these creatures go for, not only that but the fae like to kidnap young children. They are usually taken back to the fae's hideaway and they die of starvation, kept as toys until they wither away.

Ash clings to James and pulls on Kilth's hand to bring him closer.

"Syke, might you tell us where you reside?" Pinton asks. In the case of this kid, she wasn't that old- a sixteen or seventeen year old- so she might live within the forest, which explains why she is used to the ways of the forest and updated on the changes.

"Denin Peaks, that's my home."

Now, this is a city that is located within the forest. It is one of two cities in this forest. Denin Peaks exists in the trees that were hollowed out.

Many of the newer homes are built on platforms surrounding trees, these homes are far more visible than that of the homes within trees. The homes are built closer together than the in-tree homes so you don't see how big this town is from the outside.

This city is not kind to foreigners and doesn't typically allow guests to enter, however the forest is currently undergoing a drastic change in environment. This change makes the forest unpredictable and dangerous. Adventurers will be allowed into Denin Peaks until this phenomenon is fully studied and understood.

Pinton and his group knew of this and hoped to enter Denin Peaks before the town is sealed off again.

Going back to Ash now, he is quite curious about Skye. She seems to be a beastman, similar to Kilth and Maya, but instead of sharp, pointed ears with the likeness of a cat, her ears are small and rounded.

Skye notices Ash who keeps peeking at her, so she gives him a little wave. Ash copies her, fluttering his fingers whilst waving.

"Uh, Miss Skye, may you guide us to Denin Peaks? The guild had said adventurers are allowed to stay the night there." Pinton asks.

"Yeah, sure... Is this the first time you've entered the forest?"

"No, however I have never visited Denin Peaks."

"Makes sense, until recently visitors were not allowed."

Skye glances at Kilth, and his hand holding Ash's.

Skye coughs "Anyway, let us go now."

---

The city is strung between the trees. People travel around the town by the bridges connecting each visible home. The town is decorated with hanging lanterns attached to a rope that wraps around the entire town, through the branches and surrounding the town.

Using magic, Skye summoned a spiral staircase that wraps around a large tree. This is one of the only ways to enter the town, and it is the most common path in.

Skye leads the group to a resting hall.

"This is so beautiful..."

"The town looked so small from the ground..."

"Wow..."