19.2 Information

19.2 Information

Originally Published: October 26, 2023

After James and Ash finish buying their supplies, they meet up with Kilth at the gate.

Kilth is already there, leaning against the cobblestone walls. He is wearing a dark green cloak, with the hood pulled over his head. Ash finds it funny that Kilth was wearing the cloak because it is already a little too hot to wear something like that, and it is only the morning. Kilth might overheat if he keeps it on all day.

In his hands is a book, which he is reading intimately.

James puts Ash down after noticing he is a lot more energetic now.

Ash runs up to Kilth. When Kilth sees Ash, he puts the book away in his spacial ring. Kilth picks Ash up and gives him a spin.

"Ready to go, Ash?" He asks, setting Ash up on his shoulders.

"Yeah! Ready, I'm ready." Ash curls his back down and wraps his arms around Kilth's head.Kilth looks at James, "Ready?"

James responds with a short nod.

---

The group finishes the quests in half a day's time, so they head back to town.

James still carries Ash in his arm, the poor child is bored half to death. These quests weren't super eventful, no voices in the distance, no animals trying to form a familial bond.

Speaking of which, what should be done about the creature from before? James knew next to nothing about familiars. Kilth examined it and nothing seemed wrong with it, Ash forming a contract with it would most likely be fine...

However, Ash is only in his care temporarily, is it really up to him to decide?

James realizes he zoned out and pulled himself back into the group's conversation. Kilth is the only one who notices James' troubling thoughts, but he does not mention it aloud. He bumps against James softly and gives him a smile.

James forces a smile back, knowing that he needs to talk to Kilth about his thoughts later. Kilth goes to fill out the paperwork for the quests while the others idle around at a table in the guild hall. Ash climbs out of James' arms and goes to sit on the soft couch, playing with his bunny doll.

The two sit quietly in the bustling room, finding peace in the calm environment between them. Ash seems content playing with his doll by himself, which makes James smile at him fondly. James is glad that Ash is playing more, since he didn't seem to have been taken care of before.

When Kilth comes back, he hands James a bag of money as Ash reaches for him, gesturing for him to pick him up. Kilth smiles and lifts Ash up into his arms, spinning around gently. Ash giggles.

Ash then gets shy, eyeing Kilth's fluffy ears.

"You can touch my ears, Ash," Kilth says softly, the still shy Ash slowly reaches for his ears, watching Kilth's reaction before touching the fluffy ears.

After a while Kilth decides to teach Ash what familiars are, with James' approval.

"Do you like the little squirrel creature?" He asks, after getting a positive response, he continues, "Well, the little ball likes you too. It wants to form a contract with you so you two can be together for a long time, this will make it easier for you two to understand the other and share abilities."

"Can I be with him forever?"

"If you'd like, and if he wants too."

Then, quietly Ash asks, "Can I be with my brother forever?"

"Ah?" Kilth is startled, but whispers back, "You should talk to James about that, I think he might agree if you ask."

In a normal voice Ash says, "Okay."