12.3 Questing

12.3 Questing

Originally Published: July 1, 2021

In the depths of the forest lurks dangerous creatures who only come out in the night. They can seep into peoples' dreams and drain the life force from them. Any decent adventurer around these parts will know how to fortify their defenses against such attacks.

Willow is adept at making protective barriers, so wherever they may stay the night she can grant their protection from the creatures.

However, no amount of protective barriers can shield them from the rain. Although there are barriers one could learn, they are outside of Willow's specific ability. A special ability is typically very narrow in its practicality, with Willow, she can only create protective barriers explicitly for keeping out other creatures. It can be used against humans or demons alike.

Having a special ability is uncommon, but not rare. These abilities get the user a taste of the world of magic without spending years training only to realize they may not be able to harness magic properly. Harnessing magic takes a ton of purified energy. 

Typically, magic is learned in noble families because they have the resources to purity one's soul and by extension purity one's energy. It's rare for someone to be born with a pure soul, but it isn't impossible. Many of the commoners who pursue becoming a mage are born with such a soul and maintain their souls after they are in the ranks of mages and/or are sponsored by a noble family.

"Get down,"

Kilth pulls Ash over behind a tree overgrown with vines.

The vines have purple flowers blooming on them...

A trio of spirit beasts are lingering by a rivers' side. The first spirit beasts they have seen since coming into the forest- most lower-level beasts live in the outer regions of the forest. The further one goes in, the more dangerous.

Willow draws her bow and aims for their legs. She hits the smallest beasts' hine leg. It roars in pain, thrashing until it crashes into the beast next to it

James swings his sword at the uninjured fallen beast, with a sickening crack its leg

Kilth's eyes go red, he starts to chant something in a whisper. Enchanted nets surround the beasts, one for each.

Pinton stops everyone from going near the beasts, he needs to make sure the beasts are secure. Once he sees prove of them being completely detained, raising his thumb up.

"Kilth," Maya smiles, "good job." Kilth says nothing, but he takes his ring off and throws it at her.

Kilth walks up to James with Ash in arms, James didn't say anything but he rubs Ash's head, messing up his hair in the process.

After a few minutes of hiking they encounter another pack, this time there are five beasts. Pinton takes the lead this time, calling out orders for the others to execute while throwing daggers at one of the beasts.

It does not take long before all of the beasts are pinned down. Maya who is about the collect the beasts sees in the distance a much larger beast running at full force.

"Run!"

Kilth picks up Ash, chasing after Pinton.

In a frantic way, James searches for Kilth and Ash. They were across the open area he follows in their direction.

"We should find a few more packs before coming to an end." Pinton says.