Chapter 18 - Momentary Break

Zacznij od początku

"Thank you, Nakano-san. I will not disappoint you."

"I trust you won't. Farewell, L/N-kun. Have a good afternoon."

...

On the next day, we gathered at their apartment. A session right after the exams wasn't that necessary in my opinion, but Fuutarou wanted to review the tests with everyone so I was dragged along.

When we arrived at the apartment, we were welcomed by the smell of burning food. Miku was at the kitchen cooking... something. And Yotsuba was sitting on the couch watching the last episode of Higehiro on the TV.

"Fuutarou-kun, Y/N-kun. Welcome." Miku said sweetly.

"Hey, Miku. What are you doing there?" Fuutarou asked.

"I'm making some croquettes to practice my cooking skills. Would you like to try some?"

The way Yotsuba looked at us was a pretty good indicator that it would be a bad idea.

"I'd love to. The problem is that we just came back from having lunch together so-"

"Please, just one!" She looked at him with those big puppy eyes, "It would make my day if I got some feedback from you."

Das rough... I'll let him deal with that while I subtly make my way to the living room.

"Um... I guess I can have one." Fuutarou hesitantly said.

"Great! Y/N-kun, would you like some too?"

Fuck.

"I don't know man, I'm gonna go for a jog as soon as I leave here, so if I eat now, I might need to postpone it."

"Aww... okay..."

That emotional blackmail tho. It's that against the smell of something that has been carbonizing in the oven for god knows how long.

Yotsuba gave me one more terrified stare, warning us of the grave error we were about to commit.

"Dear... I guess I can have a single bite... however after we're done, you're gonna stop cooking so that we can review your exams."

"Yes, of course!" She smiled brightly, carrying a tray of black rocks to the living room's center table.

"A-Are these the croquettes?" Fuutarou asked.

"Yep! It's my first time making them. I hope you enjoy it!"

We sat around the central table, each of us getting one of Miku's war crimes.

I know she poured her heart into it... but something went very wrong. They were charred on the outside but somehow undercooked on the inside. The flavor is something that belonged in a Lovecraftian novel. Yet another excellent opportunity to train my poker face.

"What do you think?"

"They're pretty good, I guess," Fuutarou said.

He's not the pickiest eater, so his reaction was probably the most natural. Yotsuba and I couldn't muster the same composure, though.

"Good? These are hard as concrete!"

"They're... eh." I reluctantly added.

"They're not good?"

"They're not bad..."

Miku sighed, "Well... this was my first time making them."

"I thought Nino was the designated chef." I said, "Are you getting into cooking as well?"