Chapter 17 - The Results

Start from the beginning

"It's not like they'll teach us anything relevant today. But let's at least try to get to school on time."

"But then why are we even bothering to go?"

"The results, dummy." I said as I got up, "If we deliberately skip classes, we'd be setting a bad example to your sisters. It's not the best time to test Itsuki, after all."

"Gosh, what a pain." She groaned, "Next time we go on a vacation together, I'm the one who's going to decide when we wake up."

"I can get behind that. But we're not on vacation just yet."

It took some more insistence, but eventually, Nino agreed to get out of bed. After proceeding through a slightly different morning routine than we're used to, I ordered a cab to take us to school. The hotel staff always gave us a funny look when they saw us in our high-school uniform. At this point, they weren't going to confront us, but I'd be lying if I didn't feel a bit nervous the first time they saw us like that.

We arrived at school a bit earlier than usual, but there was still quite a large gathering of students in the main hall. Nino's grip tightened slightly around my arm.

"I don't want to see it." She said.

"It's either this or the paper they'll hand us at class."

"Uesugi wants to meet with us at lunchtime anyway. I'll check my results there."

"Nino, you didn't do bad. I promise."

"How can you be so sure about tha-"

"If it isn't L/N-kun!" A mildly annoying male voice cut through our conversation, "And you must be one of the Nakano quintuplets."

The chatter of the student's around us had died. Most of them were looking at the figure who had mentioned my name. Such effect only happens when coerced by someone who wields a significant amount of social power, or in other words, one of the popular kids. There he stood in his frilly sweater and neatly combed hair.

"Who are you?" Nino asked impatiently.

"Ah, how indecorous of me. Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Yuusuke Takeda from class 2-4. And you are?"

"Nino."

"Yes, of course! The fashionista. I'm in the same class as your older sister Ichika, and she's talked a lot about you two. Speaking of which, have you seen your results? Such-"

"Aight, Takeda." I barged in, "Nino doesn't want to know the results. If that's the sole reason why you wanted to talk, then you can go on your way."

"My, my. No need for such hostility. We're friends, aren't we?"

"Dude, I have no idea who you are."

His jolly expression suddenly turns to shock.

"How can you not? I've always been one or two positions above you in the exams."

"Ah, I remember it now. You're the guy who's always below Fuutarou."

And shock turns to disdain, but only for an instant as he quickly tries to recompose.

"Yes, but not always though... not for long anyway." He mumbled that last part.

"Ok cool. If that's all, we'll be going."

"Ah, why are you in such a hurry? There's still so much time to socialize before class starts? As my new rival, I'm sure there's something you did differently in this exam."

"New rival?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Why, see for yourself!"

I looked at Nino, seeing how she just nodded tiredly, "Just don't tell me my grade." She quietly mumbled.