42 | black holes and revelations part II

"This wasn't just an accident Mr. Park. The paramedics informed me that this was a self-destructive act. Ms. Price attempted to commit suicide."

"What?"

Evelyn tried to commit suicide?

He then informs me about what kind of medication Evelyn's supposed to take and the kind of therapy, he recommends her getting, he leaves us be and closes the curtain, giving us some privacy from all the commotion in the room.

"How are you feeling?" I ask her.

"Just having a light headache is all." She tells me in an attempt to assure me that she's fine, but I don't buy that.

"I don't mean your injuries Evelyn." I say. "I mean, what the hell happened to you that drove you over the edge. Why did you get wasted to the point that you jeopardized your own life?"

"I made a mistake Jimin." She replies curtly.

"A mistake?" I echo. "Is that really what it is?"

"What are you insinuating?"

"I'm trying to figure out what happened Evelyn. I'm trying to understand you, I really do, but you aren't cooperating." I tell her. "Yoongi has been in an accident too and he's at this very hospital getting surgery. I was with Nox when the hospital called us both at the same time. Said that he broke his arm and six ribs. I don't know the specifics of his condition, but his broken ribs are restricting his breathing, so he's getting surgery right now. He's in a critical condition as we speak."

"You think I don't know that?" She finally snaps, but then she looks at me with a soft expression. "God, I never wanted this to happen to him. This is the last thing I wanted to happen."

"So, it was Yoongi wasn't it?" I say in a whisper. "He tried to pull you away from the street when you were intoxicated, only for him to end up with six broken ribs."

"Jimin,"

"Is this because I refused to give you money?" I question.

"What? No." She says, but that doesn't convince me.

"Was there ever a time when you told me the truth Evelyn?" I sigh exasperated. "Then why on earth would you act so recklessly? Why did you try to commit suicide?"

As the words mindlessly leave my mouth, her eyes turn dark.

"Jimin, calm down." She presses. "This isn't the time or the place to have this conversation."

"Of course, it's not the time." I say sardonically. "Because when we were together, the timing was always off. All those times when I asked you how you were feeling and you just shrugged all of it off and lied straight to my face; it wasn't the right time or the right fucking place. This is exactly what I loathed about you Evelyn. Everyone has to do things according to your terms, because you refuse to climb down that high horse of yours. You don't want anyone to see you at a weak moment, because you think that someone's here to get you. So, you just close yourself off and try to fix things on your own when clearly, you're ready to crumble to pieces. Everyone can see it; hell, I can see it too! That's why nobody wants to approach you, Evelyn. Who would want to fucking climb those walls you put up? It's pathetic really, how much effort you're putting into shielding yourself like someone's going to-"

"I have bipolar Jimin." She suddenly cuts me.

"What?"

What did you just say?

"I have bipolar disorder Jimin." She repeats. "And today my manic episode got triggered from a series of events that have been stress inducing. Dr. Hawthorne recognized my symptoms because his sister is manic too, so he suggested me to go get proper treatment. But that's the problem Jimin, I can't do that right now." I stare at her speechless as she looks at me dead in the eye when she says, "I'll tell you the truth. I'll tell you everything Jimin, but you have to listen to me quietly, okay?"