40: MOVED ON?

MANIK'S POV

Currently i sat in my car alone with my head in my palms. The way she saw me today with those glittering eyes after Cabir's proposal haunted me as if she was mocking me that 'this could be us but you screwed it bad'. I can still remember Austin right by her side as he glanced her with affection on the way her head titled everytime she adorned the newly engaged couple. I was happy for Cabir, atleast one of us got their happy ending.

A few seconds later i felt a slight knock on my window and i knew who it was, Cabir. He had been pestering me to come along with them because they were gonna hang out together to celebrate but i have had my jail sentence for today and i can't hang around even a second more to watch my Nandini with someone else. I was such an idiot to think that i can actually be fine watching her move on with someone else. A knock again and i was out of my guilt world but still chose to ignore it when i heard the passenger door click open and someone slide in.

"Look Cabir i told you i am not interested in any celebration." I spoke without looking at his direction.

"Ofcourse you're not. Typical Manik Malhotra." i heard her voice. That angelic voice. And soon i smelled that perfume she wears, my favourite and comfort smell.

"Because these childish celebrations are just a waste of time." i replied still maintaining my demeneour.

"That's your opinion, not everyone's. " she murmured and then turned to face me. Oh my God please don't look at me. Just don't.

"Look Manik i know we're in bad terms right now." she started but i stopped her mid-sentence because anymore words from her and i'll pull her in my arms.

"We're not." i looked at her finally.

"I don't know what made you part your ways from me. I know that there is something but right now i am not here to get into that. All i am here to say is that now that Navya and Cabir are getting married, we're probably gonna see each other alot, more than we would have liked but we'll have to." she spoke in a light voice.

"I know and i understand that."

"That's good. So all i want to request is that we can atleast be a little civil until this wedding gets over. For our best friends." she looked up with those twinkling eyes of hers.

"Ofcourse we can. Anything for Cabir." i replied even though i knew that it was all just to stay closer to her. I can't be in her life but atleast i can be around in a different form.

"Then one last deal?" she asked pushing her hand forward for me to shake.

"One last deal." i replied taking her hand into mine as that warm feeling made it's way inside my heart.

"Thank you and you don't have to get annoyed about it after this wedding is over, we won't see each other ever again." she gave me that sarcastic smile of hers as she looked ahead through the front glass waving at someone.

Looking in the same direction i notice Austin waving back as he signalled her to tell her that he was waiting.

"Hope we can be civil Manik." and she left with the last words between us. She always does. Gosh what have i gotten myself into. How was i supposed to control myself around her. I scolded myself as i banged my head on the steering wheel.

NANDINI'S POV

The little interaction with Manik in his car felt wierd, not because of the entire scenario but because of the hidden glint in his eyes as soon as i asked him for the deal. Not a literal deal, but a deal to be civil because i know how much this wedding means to Navya and Cabir both. That glint told me a different story and my mind took me back to the time when i stood in his room demanding for answers and he told me to bug off since we were over and all we had for him was fun, but somewhere my heart doesn't belive that. It never did.