35: IT'S OVER

MANIK'S POV

I stumbled my way inside the house where everyone gazed me with hollow eyes. I walked up the stairs with great difficulty pulling myself up with every step pushing anyone who came ahead to help me with my movement. Opening the years old locked door that no one was allowed open, not even me i slammed the door hard to cover all the gazing from everyone behind me. There infront of me stood a huge family portrait, my family that was supposed to stay by my side forever but wasn't and a lone tear escaped my eye as i remembered the happenings from a few hours ago.

5 hours ago. At 6:30 a.m.

I woke up to a constant buzzing sound that was beneath my arms. Holding up my head i realised where i was. It was my study room where Cabir had explained me my mother's entire health condition from start until now. How and when she was diagnosed exactly and the treatments that had been going. After an hour of discussion we had made a few calls taking up to ourselves to get her the best doctor for her surgery that was supposed to happen today. 

I might have slept here itself after Cabir left cause i was still going through all the medical files. I picked up my cell phone buzzing on the table as i came across an unknown number. The voice on the other side was cracked and looked like someone was sobbing too hard to even breathe.

"Hello? Who is this?" i asked in panick.

"Manik! This is me-, Sophia. It's mom." the girl on the other side sobbed and my muscles tensed. It was my sister and she was crying.

"Sophia, what's wrong? is mom okay?" i asked the questions in a hurry.

"I don't know. The doctors are here. She was getting ready to leave for the hospital when her nurse found her lying on the floor in the bathroom. She was having difficulty in breathing. Please get here fast." she cried out for my help and i grabbed my car keys as fast as i could striding down the stairs to the garage. Igniting the engine i sped as fast as i could calming my sister down on the phone call as i texted Cabir and Nandini about the situation. Cabir; so that he could get the doctor we decided and Nandini; well i just needed her.

"Sophia stop crying. Mom's gonna be fine. It's going to be okay. I am here almost." i consolded her when i phone slipped out of my hands and the call got cut due to a sudden bumper.

"damn it" i cursed trying to rediall her number but the battery died too.

I made it to her house in 25 minutes since our houses had a huge distance and basically sprang out of my seat towards the entrance where i saw an ambulance already arrived and Cabir beside it. He gave me a hollow look and i panicked. I rushed inside the house as i heard alot of commosion and people moving here and there. The door to her room was open and i saw a siloutte beside Sophia. Nandini stood beside her consoling her looking at something. Moving my head i spotted my mom's figure lying on the bed with nurses around her removing her tubes.

Sophia ran to me hugging me tight as soon as she saw me. Clinging to me like a small kid sobbing too hard.

"She left us." Sophia sobbed pushing herself into me trying to forget the memory. I for once in my life was way too shocked to even reply to what she said.

"She left us Manik. Our mother is no more. I could do nothing." she cried and Nandini kept a hand over her mouth.

I had no expressions at all. I just looked at the dead figure and the figure hugging me. It took me a few minutes t grasp the information.

"No" i mumbled while Cabir kept a hand on my shoulder and Sophia parted from me.

"This can't happen. She can't leave me. No no no not again." i held my head in my palms and looked around the room. Nandini moved ahead for me to console me and i snapped back at her with blood shot eyes, "don't".