A Story and an Apology

Boran alp P.O.V

Umur Bey came to the tribe just now. I think he might be here to apologize or maybe find a way to blame Osman for this one too. But, by the look on his face, it's probably the first one. Yigit and Zehra were trying to adjust to our tribe. It's mainly a struggle of Yigit, but Zehra, being a social butterfly, is already winning hearts. Yigit did seem to become friends with Ahmet, but he is still unwilling to talk to others. 

Ahmet runs up to me, tapping on my arm, and I turn to him. "What's wrong, Ahmet?" "Davut Bey was telling us a story, and Yigit got up and ran away. He looked mad and I don't know why." I frown, 'Why would a story get him upset?' I think, but then I remember something. 'His brother Ali, he loved those stories.' I look back at Ahmet, "Do you know who the story was about?" Ahmet nods, "Davut Bey was talking about Sultan Melikshah." He answers, confusion written on his face.

It clicks in my head, 'Sultan Melikshah... that's who Ali wanted to be like.'  I pat Ahmets head, "Eyvallah, Ahmet Alp. Thank you for telling me, Do you know where Yigit went?" Ahmet points to an area near the training field and I hurry to get there. I find Yigit kicking at the grass, I walk up to him gently putting a hand on his shoulder and he turns around, a frown on his face.

His grey eyes only showing pain, sadness, and a hint of anger. "These stories, what's the point? All Ali wanted was to be like them, and it got him killed." I sigh, kneeling in front of him, bringing him to my eye level. "Would Ali be happy if he knew he would die as he did?" Yigit stays silent, but then quietly replies, "He would." I turn Yigit face to me, "If he would be happy, shouldn't you be too?" I ask, hopefully, but Yigit turns back around.

"What do I have to be happy about? Dead parents and 2 dead brothers?" He asks bitterly, and I once again turn him back around. "They're not dead, Yigit. They have to honor of Shahadat, their sins erased and a straight path of heaven." I hold him by the shoulder, "You're their legacy, Yigit. You, Zehra, your family lives on through you. They'll always be with you, Yigit, you aren't alone. I will always be here for you." 

Tears brimmed his eyes, and Yigit suddenly hugs me tight, "Thank you." He whispers and I smile slightly. When I pull away, I look into his eyes, "Besides, you don't have to listen to those stories. What are you interested in? Swords? Horses? Books?"  Yigit shakes his head, "Archery, I want to learn to shoot an arrow." I smile, "Well my friend, you are in luck. That happens to be my specialty." 

Later that day, I stood in Osman Bey's tent. "Umur Bey came to ask for forgiveness. He went to attack Togay when the tribe was being attacked. He disobeyed and then he lied." We all stood listening to Osman Bey's rant as he paced. Then he stops, "I told him to leave these lands." Heads turn to him in surprise, "Osman Bey, can we afford to lose their support and numbers?" Gunduz Bey asks, and Osman Bey nods. "It's better than having him ruining my every plan. I invited him here to support me, for friendship, but he keeps disobeying me." 

Gunduz speaks in understanding, "You're right, His actions have now ruined the game we were playing with Togay. Togay can now attack the tribe or Sogut at any moment." Osman Bey nods, stroking his beard before sitting down. "Boran, Did you and Goktug increase security in Sogut?" "We did, Bey. Everyone will be searched upon entering and the guards have been doubled. Bey, I also placed some archers in more hidden locations in case of a raid." "Good, good, talk to the folk, make sure they know of the threat." I nod, "Eyvallah, Bey."

I walk outside and see Goktug preparing his horse, "Where are you going, Kardesh?" "Sogut," He replies, avoiding eye contact. "And why would you be going to Sogut?" "Osman Bey told us to go, you already know this." I grin, "Are you sure there isn't any other reason you want to go to Sogut?"  Goktug turns abruptly, "No," he says, rolling his eyes. "You sure?" "Boran, is this necessary?"

I smile, "Oh he's changing the subject and ignoring the question?" I mimic the words he once said to me. "You want to go to Sogut to see her, don't you?" I ask with a teasing tone to my voice and Goktug groans. "Boran. Shut your mouth." "Fine, fine, let's go." "Goktug, Boran!" I hear Osman Bey's voice call out and we both turn. "I'm going to Sogut too, I want to check everything out."

When we get to Sogut, I take a quick look around, checking the locations of our Alps. I look to the areas where I placed the hidden archers and I can't see them. Perfect. Goktug and I split up to check on different areas of the market and Osman Bey tells us to meet him back at the square. When Goktug turns to walk away, I call out to him. "Don't forget to do your actual job, Goktug!" He turns around and rolls his eyes at me, "Get lost already, Boran."

Soon, we regroup with Osman Bey and the other alps as we follow him around. Osman Bey goes from shop to shop, talking to merchants and giving sweets to little kids. Then we stop at a stand that sold fruits and vegetables, coincidently Zoye hatun's stand. "May it be easy," Osman Bey greets. I look over to Goktug whose expression immediately changes as he smiles at her. Osman Bey asks her name, and when she replies, Osman Bey glances at Goktug who promptly looks away.

"We will buy the supplies needed for tomorrow's feast from this hatun. Goktug, you will see to it." Osman Bey says, tomorrow Gunduz's wife, Ayse hatun is coming to the tribe and Osman Bey is hosting a feast. Osman Bey turns, a mischievous glint in his dark eyes. Aygul turns too, giving Goktug a look as she walks by, soon Cerkutay follows, mimicking Aygul's look. Then, I go too, bumping my shoulder against his, smirking. 

A/N: Hello hello, I got my second covid vaccine dose today since I live in America and kids above 12 can get it. So far, my arm isn't dying. I also got to go do archery today and that was fun. AnYwAy, hOpE yOu eNjOyEd 

Salaam and have a greeaaaaaaaaaat day!