The Sultan and Konya

Gonca hatun P.O.V

After Osman Bey refused to pay taxes to the Mongols, An Emir came to our tribe. According to Boran, he didn't talk about Osman Bey rebelling against the Mongols, but only came to congratulate Osman Bey on his victory against Nikola. What was even more surprising was the fact that Sultan Mesut called Osman Bey to Konya. Sultan Mesut wasn't much of a Sultan, and everyone knew, but why would he suddenly be involved in our tribe.

The next morning, Osman Bey is to set off to Konya, and Boran is going with him. We stand off to the side, Boran holds my hands in his. "Boran, you're going to be late," I say, but Boran says nothing, and holds my hand slightly tighter, a smirk forming on his face.  "Boraan... come on, go already!" I say, trying to pull, my hands out of his grip, but Boran tugs me closer to him. 

"You look more beautiful the more you get mad at me, Gonca'm." He says, a smirk on his face, and I sigh. 'Okay, now he's just doing it to annoy me,' "Boran. Go." "Tamaam, Tamaam, (Alright, Alright,) I'm going."  Boran slowly pulls his hands away from mine and gets onto his horse, circling me once before racing off.

Boran alp P.O.V

We ride to Konya, Osman Bey leading us at the front. I ride alongside Goktug, Saltuk, and Gencebey, we talked about nothing of importance and mainly wondered about Konya. None of us had actually been to Konya, except for Goktug, who went once as a Mongol. "Konya used to be a great city, great Beys would send their children there to study," Saltuk says, and Goktug nods. "But, it's nothing of that sort now. The palace is overrun with Mongols, most of the scholars have fled. People live in fear." "What about Sultan Mesut?" Gencebey asks, riding up closer to us.

I scoff, "Most people wouldn't even call him a Sultan. He follows orders from Geyhatu but speaks in the name of Seljuks. The Seljuks haven't been the same ever since Sultan Giyaseddin died." Everyone nodded in agreement, "Sultan Giyaseddin tried to put the state back together, but the Great Seljuks are now past saving." Saltuk says, sadly and he's right. We would tell legendary stories of Alparslan and Sultan Melikshah, but now it's hard to believe these Seljuks are even related.

We arrive in Konya much later into the night, and the city is an interesting sight. The Palace is huge and beautiful, but the city looks drag, almost like a ghost town. The few people we see outside at this time, stay quiet and don't lookup. "Keep your eyes open and keep your guard up. Trust no one." I say quietly to the alps as we enter the palace gates. They take Osman Bey to one room, and the rest of us are spilt amongst different rooms.

I take my boots off and sit on the bed, leaning against the pillow, but something doesn't feel right. I stare at the bland bricks of the ceiling, 'Okay this is really weird.' I look over at Goktug who leans back with his arm behind his head. "What's wrong?" He asks, glancing over at me, "Two things. One, how do people sleep like this?" Goktug shrugs, "I guess you just get used to it." "Second, Goktug, Osman Bey is alone. In a Palace full of traitors and Mongols."

Goktug gets up, nodding, "We should be guarding him." I nod, "We'll sacrifice our sleep for our Bey." We grab our boots and weapons, putting them back on. We walk down the hall to the room Osman Bey is in and stands opposite the guards already there. This is going to be a long, long night.

The next morning, Osman Bey comes out of his room, he seems rather surprised to see the two of us there. "I see you two sacrificed your sleep," He says smiling at us, and I notice the tiredness in his eyes as well. "You look like you sacrificed your sleep as well, Bey," I note, but he only shakes his head as the Emir walks toward us. "The Sultan would like to see you, Osman Bey."

We're led to the Sultan's chamber and once we are outside the door, they ask for Osman Bey's weapons. When another soldier tries to take them, Osman Bey stops him, turning around and handing me his sword and dagger. 'Ertugrul Ghazi oglu Osman never gives up his weapons.'  The Emir tells Osman Bey to enter with his head lowered and to not look the Sultan in the eye. Knowing Osman, he is going to do everything the Emir told him not to do.

After a couple of minutes, a Mongolian man walks into the Sultan's chamber. I look at Goktug, "This can't be good," I whisper, and Goktug nods. But, soon the Mongol stomps out of the room, an angry look on his face. When Osman Bey comes out of the room, he looks calm and stands tall as he takes his weapon back from us. "We are leaving now, Be ready for anything." That is all he says as we walk down the halls.

Soldiers block our way and draw their swords, I spin around, pulling out my own sword. I grasp the handle of my sword tightly, prepared for a fight. 'What kind of palace is this?' I think, and then Sultan Mesut himself appears, "I will talk to you alone, Osman Bey." 'Did this man just get his soldier to block us with their swords just to talk?!' 

As we leave the palace, Osman Bey explains what the Sultan had said. We're going to play a game, and make peace with Togay. The Sultan will then be able to support us in a war against the Ilkhanate. Honestly, I'm pretty confused, and it's a perfect example of why I am an alp. Politics is way too confusing. "The big problem is Umur Bey." Osman Bey states, "If he doesn't obey, and continues to act on his own, we will be fighting the entire Ilkhanate on our own."

A/N: I know this chapter is a bit boring, but I promise we will get to some GokZoe next chapter. Also if you have any suggestions for the story, you can send them through DMs. I will be playing around with the time, in order to get to some interesting things, like Osman's children.

Anyway, Salaam, and have a great day!